Where to tailor clothes, continued...

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
I made a linen jacket half-lined with bemberg, still can get hot as ****
It's the humidity that gets you! The bombers traps all the hot and humid air. I find that quarter lined jackets in linen work the best. The lining on the shoulders and sleeve are functional, and the linen allows for some permeability.

Honestly though, SG weather isn't made for jackets.
 

rlskyline

Master Member
Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
4,337
Reaction score
1,123


Me! I'm a big guy with a lot of meat. I just made this jacket at lai en. My wife took these two candid shots of me while I was chatting with the tailors, so what you see is what you get.

The jacket fits well and seems very neat, especially since this is the first jacket I made with them.

If you like to know more about my experience with lai en, let me know!

how much is your jacket?
 

Stann55

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Need an opinion. Will u pay $115 to accept a shirt that has multiple threads running across the entire inseams from the sleeves to the chest waist and hips? The spacing between the threads are not uniform throughout. Just collected from a tailor without any adjustment. Let me know whether u can view the video/pics with the links below. Would appreciate 10 members response "unacceptable/acceptable"
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iia67kAVD32fLu3a9https://photos.app.goo.gl/rARRMQduouWnN4jf8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qmJaYZsMHrhZumeD8
 
Last edited:

Clinomania

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2009
Messages
1,090
Reaction score
27
Can I use this as a case study for avoiding cheap tailoring? Top up $40 and you can get an infinitely better shirt from Kamakura. Spend $40 and you can get something that's just as good as your shirt at Uniqlo.
Or visit Decorum locally and get a Kamakura shirt at $118. In any case, quality leaves much to be desired for local shirtmakers - MTM is only worth it if your body proportions are atypical.
 

smoking.goblin

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2009
Messages
689
Reaction score
201
Any idea which tailor has those thick Oxford Cotton type of fabric that can be found in Polo Ralph or Uniqlo long sleeves shirt?
 

summersky1986

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2006
Messages
26,875
Reaction score
1,489
Used to tailor at Dylan and son, but post covid I put on a lot of weight and my shirts, trousers and suits don't fit anymore.

I visited Esquire tailor for a shirt and trousers but yet to collect.

Anyone has a under 150 per shirt tailor to recommend? Hybrid working condition and also no longer in CBD, so prefer value for money
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Used to tailor at Dylan and son, but post covid I put on a lot of weight and my shirts, trousers and suits don't fit anymore.

I visited Esquire tailor for a shirt and trousers but yet to collect.

Anyone has a under 150 per shirt tailor to recommend? Hybrid working condition and also no longer in CBD, so prefer value for money
If you visited Esquire, why not stick with them if your shirt is good and ask for a 3 shirts promo price? Most tailors offer a 3 shirts promo price.
 

darklighter

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2007
Messages
1,935
Reaction score
9
Was doing some research for my wedding suit and came across an article on KayJen whereby Matthew told the writer, “We still find your shoulders a bit low, so we’re going to adjust that. Originally, we put more padding on your right shoulder, but now we want to shift the angle of the jacket, so we’ll remove the pads. This will give you a more natural shoulder. We’ll also not proceed with the shirt sleeve attachment, because we want a perfect match for the checks. Other than that, I feel that the front and back silhouette is nice.”

I have never had an experience where the tailor gave such inputs, and would love to take this opportunity to have one since it's the most important suit of my life. Would only those on the higher end of the recommended list offer such service? If my budget let's say $1k. Plus vest plus $500?
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Was doing some research for my wedding suit and came across an article on KayJen whereby Matthew told the writer, “We still find your shoulders a bit low, so we’re going to adjust that. Originally, we put more padding on your right shoulder, but now we want to shift the angle of the jacket, so we’ll remove the pads. This will give you a more natural shoulder. We’ll also not proceed with the shirt sleeve attachment, because we want a perfect match for the checks. Other than that, I feel that the front and back silhouette is nice.”

I have never had an experience where the tailor gave such inputs, and would love to take this opportunity to have one since it's the most important suit of my life. Would only those on the higher end of the recommended list offer such service? If my budget let's say $1k. Plus vest plus $500?
Double your budget.
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Morning guys, I dunno where to ask

anyone knows where could I get the trousers replacement buckles in Singapore ? Need a couple urgently

https://pin.it/4Am0ww7
You need to find a haberdasher that stocks these things. You may have some luck wandering textile centre at jln sultan... Personally, when I wanted to convert my belt loop trousers to side adjusters, I dropped my trousers off at meng yee and outsourced the work to them.
 

Gambler.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
14,044
Reaction score
761
Thanks I found it at textile Center ytd after some trips to Spotlight and others

they only have it in silver though but all good
 

Gambler.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
14,044
Reaction score
761
You need to find a haberdasher that stocks these things. You may have some luck wandering textile centre at jln sultan... Personally, when I wanted to convert my belt loop trousers to side adjusters, I dropped my trousers off at meng yee and outsourced the work to them.
How much they charge you to change from loops to adjusters?

the fabric also won’t be the same right ?
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
How much they charge you to change from loops to adjusters?

the fabric also won’t be the same right ?
To be honest I don't remember e price but a Conservative estimate is say about $30? I love the guys at Meng Yee for how little they **** my clothes up compared to other alteration tailors that I just pay whatever he quotes.

Fabric was the same because I had to shorten my trouser length which was where they grabbed the extra fabric from. They removed the belt loops as well.

The only quibble I have with the side adjusters is that perhaos some form of interlining should be used to give the fabric some structure. As it is the fabric at the side adjusters now is pretty floppy because they simply folded the fabric over.
 

rbth x 0408

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2011
Messages
374
Reaction score
3
hi guys
would a budget of around 120 be sufficient for a decent shirt? any recommendations?
or better off sticking to OTR?

I had a couple of coute cousu shirts and thought they fit quite alright, just wanted a better quality material for white shirts.
 

Rong626

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
181
I think ppl like me go mtm for that price point to get a good fit. For quality and workmanship perhaps need higher budget
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top