Where to tailor clothes, continued...

FreshPrince

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I'm looking to commission a suit for daily work use in a Neapolitan style tailoring (spalla camicia shoulders, barchetta pocket, etc) with a budget of below $1,000.

Does anyone have recommendations? Thank you!
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Side adjusters are mainly for aesthetics as there is only so much you can tighten the waistband. Plus, tailored pants should be fitted to your waist anyway. You can also seek a replacement for the buckles, usually at no cost.
Actually I prefer side adjusters for pre and post meal periods!

U tried yr wife’s gown studio alrd? Usually they cater for tux too.. for convenience and guys are much less fussy too

The rental suits are usually shiny and plastic and too tight and too short!
 

chaobotak

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2012
Messages
166
Reaction score
5
Looking to make some dress shirts for work. I've been reading and it seems like Vivo Seah Im and Lai En seems like the recommended choice here. What is the expected damage for making a basic white dress shirt at these 2 places? Any other affordable tailors to recommend? Thanks all.
 

BelongYJ

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2022
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Hi, would like to find out for Kay Jen their sports jacket cost for decent England or Italian fabrics. Really love their vintage cutting, specially with lower gorges line.
 

_hulk_

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2004
Messages
10,975
Reaction score
274
Wish to tailor a suit. Any value for $$ tailer to recommend for Singapore or Bangkok?
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Wish to tailor a suit. Any value for $$ tailer to recommend for Singapore or Bangkok?
Tailoring overseas should be a part of the experience, but not the main objective of travelling unless you are tailoring a lot and so far, I only encountered 2 other people besides me. e.g if you are making a suit for your wedding, you can travel to take pre-wedding shoot, sightsee, shop and tailor too, then your album will be more unique.

There is a long thread on Bangkok tailors. Search for it. One of the recommended tailor is Jesse and Sons. I saw they included milanese buttonhole as their new standard. If cost is the reason, honestly, Saigon is cheaper (flight, hotel, tailor fees) but the quality/workmanship is as good if not better. Many Saigon fitters are cutters. I visited 10 of them before and tailored with 4 of them (3 can CMT). Maybe will write a blog review on them someday.
 
Last edited:

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
38,419
Reaction score
48
any place to recommend for alteration of suit? i went back to the original place where i tailored from and they're charging $60 per area. :/

How much did the suit cost originally? This seems reasonable to me, and would be my preferred choice (going back to the original tailor to alter)
 

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
38,419
Reaction score
48
Guys, I understand we can tailor pants without belt loops (using some draw strings to tighten). I wonder whether that method is reliable? Heard sometimes the metal buckles will break. Then will the pants become very loose?

The pants should have been tailored to fit you, such that the fit shouldn't be too off even without the adjusters (unless you lost a ton of weight)

That said, I have 5 tailored pants with side adjusters, all multiple years old (with 1 pair being 6-7 years old), none have given out on me yet. And I don't baby my pants, I yank on the adjusters pretty hard sometimes
 

elvintay07

Suspended
Joined
Jan 4, 2022
Messages
12,370
Reaction score
4,444
The pants should have been tailored to fit you, such that the fit shouldn't be too off even without the adjusters (unless you lost a ton of weight)

That said, I have 5 tailored pants with side adjusters, all multiple years old (with 1 pair being 6-7 years old), none have given out on me yet. And I don't baby my pants, I yank on the adjusters pretty hard sometimes
I am thinking if we make too fitting, will the fabric or thread ripped?
 

Clinomania

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2009
Messages
1,090
Reaction score
27
Tailoring overseas should be a part of the experience, but not the main objective of travelling unless you are tailoring a lot and so far, I only encountered 2 other people besides me. e.g if you are making a suit for your wedding, you can travel to take pre-wedding shoot, sightsee, shop and tailor too, then your album will be more unique.

There is a long thread on Bangkok tailors. Search for it. One of the recommended tailor is Jesse and Sons. I saw they included milanese buttonhole as their new standard. If cost is the reason, honestly, Saigon is cheaper (flight, hotel, tailor fees) but the quality/workmanship is as good if not better. Many Saigon fitters are cutters. I visited 10 of them before and tailored with 4 of them (2 can CMT). Maybe will write a blog review on them someday.
I am quite impressed by the tailoring scene in Vietnam I must say. I have not tried any of them but one of my favourites are:
https://www.facebook.com/phamtailor/photos/?ref=page_internal
Looks pretty good.
 

marsbarsz

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2015
Messages
530
Reaction score
3
Budget? If not off the rack, most tailors or made-to-measure shops that do suits will probably do sports costs as well.

If you’re looking to go explore off the rack:

Low budget:
G2000, Uniqlo, H&M, Zara

Mid budget:
Benjamin Barker*, Massimo Dutti*, Sacoor Brothers, Brooks Brothers, various brands in Robinsons

Higher budget:
Suit Supply*

Those with * are my recommendations

For OTR dress shirts, do the quoted recommendations still stand?

If not OTR, any other recommendations for affordable tailored dress shirt (~$50)?
 
Last edited:

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
For OTR dress shirts, do the quoted recommendations still stand?

If not OTR, any other recommendations for affordable tailored dress shirt (~$50)?
At yr budget (i assume $50 mentioned), no change to the entry tier recom..

In fact, other then uniqlo, i m not even sure if yr budget is enough for full price non-promo dress shirts from the other brands.
 

villan

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2003
Messages
5,067
Reaction score
18
any recent reviews on Yeossal and private affairs for biz suits? any other recommended tailors at this price point?
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top