Starhub 1Gbps Fibre Review

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is correct, its 1+1, not a single 2Gbps. I believe none of the ISPs offer a true 2Gbps currently. The sad fact is, most routers/ mesh can't fully utilise the 1+1Gbps. There are routers that can take in 1+1Gbps WAN, but the result is definitely not the same as a single 2Gbps. So In my case, I just have a single 1Gbps connected to my router, and other point direct to my main computer which will help alleviate congestion on the router when I am downloading games or big files. Its also good in a sense if something is wrong with the router, it doesn't affect my connection to my main PC since its not connected to the router. So 1 less point for failure.
is this from the same ONT ?
i dont think they give you 2 seprate ONTs right?

not that i have "seen" a 2 gbps setup before

PinkGlory

Reaction score
I have planned to switch to m1 (from Singtel) as I heard the router given is better as compared to the one given by Starhub. But the current ocbc promotion that Starhub has with OCBC makes it quite attractive for me now. Disney Plus instead of free mobile data from m1.

I saw many of you are not really using the free router provided by Starhub? Is it really quite a bad router? What's the difference between this and the Smart Wifi Pro ? Also, if I live in a 5 room flat, does it mean I need additional 2 units as recommended in their website for better coverage? In this case, I would have to pay $6 more per month.

Actually Singtel has also offered me $39.90 for recontract with new router. I am hesitant as I haven't been able to resolve the poor reception issues in my rooms even after getting mesh routers like more than 2 years ago. I am bad at understanding the technicalities therefore I didn't do anything thus far. Unable to troubleshoot. The only solution that I think may help is to lay cables to the room.

Any advise?

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
I have planned to switch to m1 (from Singtel) as I heard the router given is better as compared to the one given by Starhub. But the current ocbc promotion that Starhub has with OCBC makes it quite attractive for me now. Disney Plus instead of free mobile data from m1.

I saw many of you are not really using the free router provided by Starhub? Is it really quite a bad router? What's the difference between this and the Smart Wifi Pro ? Also, if I live in a 5 room flat, does it mean I need additional 2 units as recommended in their website for better coverage? In this case, I would have to pay $6 more per month.

Actually Singtel has also offered me $39.90 for recontract with new router. I am hesitant as I haven't been able to resolve the poor reception issues in my rooms even after getting mesh routers like more than 2 years ago. I am bad at understanding the technicalities therefore I didn't do anything thus far. Unable to troubleshoot. The only solution that I think may help is to lay cables to the room.

Any advise?

i have been using starhub home broadband since last year october, signed one year contract 1Gbps plan at $49.90. first time using starhub so dare not to sign two years contracts becos if it is bad, will be stuck for two years.

that time starhub + ocbc promo price is only $34.90 now the so called "promo price" is a joke.
although i did not go for this offer becos it is two years contract.

to be fair, starhub broadband is quite stable. i only encountered 2 to 3 times ONT has no signal during midnight around 1am++ kind of time and it was down for 2 hours at least before it recovered. but somehow find that the speed for torrent etc. is not impressive, maybe due to the throtlling. so wanted to try myrepublic after my contract is over. this is the reason of not going for long contract too.

the nokia beacon given is a trash. minimum configurations can do. signal is so so too. i sold it at $30++ and also bought another brand new EA7500-AH v2 MAX-STREAM AC1900+ at similar price to replace it. much better, although the signal is also not strong but better than nokia beacon, however, also cannot penetrate my room's thick walls. technically go out of my room the wifi signal is crap. (i had the fibre termination point installed in my room so that i can use wired connection for my mac mini).

Bardiel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i just called in. coming from home hub, and wanna move to broadband only, they tell me same price as per website =/

goofy123

Reaction score
not sure if this is the right place to ask noob question?

got the SH broadband with TV+ about 8mth ago, n it comes with 2 Nokia beacons.
During the installation, Starhub guy saw i have a LAN line going into study room for the desktop there, so he setup the network like this:
- Beacon 1 in living room, next to ONT, Beacon 2 in study room
- ONT to Beacon 1, using a lan cable.
- Used the lan cable to connect from beacon 1 to beacon 2.
- Used the Lan cable from beacon 2 to connect to desktop
- Setup tv+ to connect using WIFI.

was thinking it is possibly better to connect TV+ box using LAN cable, but there isn't any LAN port to use as the beacon 1 only has one port and thats's connected to Beacon 2.

can i get a router/switch that i can plug into LAN port of Beacon 1, then that will let me have more LAN ports to use? then i can use a LAN cable to connect to TV+ box.

thanks in advance.

miloaisdino

Reaction score

During the installation, Starhub guy saw i have a LAN line going into study room for the desktop there, so he setup the network like this:

was thinking it is possibly better to connect TV+ box using LAN cable, but there isn't any LAN port to use as the beacon 1 only has one port and thats's connected to Beacon 2.

can i get a router/switch that i can plug into LAN port of Beacon 1, then that will let me have more LAN ports to use? then i can use a LAN cable to connect to TV+ box.

thanks in advance.
imo the desktop needs the lan cable more than the TV+ box. the bandwidth requirements for iptv can be well satisfied via wifi, but the desktop may need lan access for heavy downloads and updates. is there any particular reason why you prefer the TV+ box to be connected via lan cable?

jasonwsc

Reaction score

thanks in advance.
Just get any cheap unmanaged gigabit switch and connect it to the the Nokia with Ethernet cable, should be around $25.

goofy123

Reaction score
imo the desktop needs the lan cable more than the TV+ box. the bandwidth requirements for iptv can be well satisfied via wifi, but the desktop may need lan access for heavy downloads and updates. is there any particular reason why you prefer the TV+ box to be connected via lan cable?
hi Milo,
i am considering lan cable for TV+ box as i get some quality issues when i watch live tv, like picture corrupted for 1-2 seconds. it happens every few min so i was thinking it could be the WiFi somehow not fast enough?

miloaisdino

Reaction score
hi Milo,
i am considering lan cable for TV+ box as i get some quality issues when i watch live tv, like picture corrupted for 1-2 seconds. it happens every few min so i was thinking it could be the WiFi somehow not fast enough?
ic. but the second nokia wifi is located in the same room as the tv box? its possible to try connecting via lan cable to see if it helps with the tvbox picture problem. if it helps, a simple gigabit switch can allow both the tvbox and nokia to share the lan port

goofy123

Reaction score
hi Milo,
the second nokia beacon is in the study room, while the tv+ is in living room (same as Beacon #1).
i am thinking of switch, then can connect beacon 1 to switch using Lan cable, and from switch can have Lan cable to tv+ box and beacon #2.

phantomsri

Reaction score
That's quite odd. Nowhere on the image you shared mentioned 3 months Hotstar subscription. If you look at the way they market the free 12 months Disney+ vs the "Free 3 months", I will certainly dispute what the CS mentioned. In fact if you look at the Starhub OCBC promotion page, the 2 Gbps offer also mentioned "Free 3 months" and I did get my free subscription, at least I've not been ask to pay anything for the first bill that I just received. Unless of course, it was clearly mentioned during the process of signing up. You sure you did not sign up for a different offer?
I just confirmed with starhub, really misleading information.
that 3 months is for hot star.

https://www.starhub.com/personal/tvplus/passes/indianplus/hotstar.html
I almost jumped from my other service provider.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It seems to me anything less than S$29.9 is a special promotion price (including free 1Gbps broadband with Starhub Fibre TV conversion last time for Cable TV subscribers), and usually the out of contract price is S$39.9 per month.

But there may be exceptions.

I know there are lucky people who have S$29.9 1Gbps out of contract price in this thread.

I am fine with my S$29.9 out of contract price for my 500Mbps Starhub Fibre internet plan myself.

Wow! I didnt know starhub has out of contract price of S$29.9. M1 500mbps price jumps up significantly once it is out of contract, so it is kind of a perpetual contract.

I would love to move to Starhub, if only they gave me free phone line like M1. These days with WFH it helps to sometime dial in to the conference via phone.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow! I didnt know starhub has out of contract price of S$29.9. M1 500mbps price jumps up significantly once it is out of contract, so it is kind of a perpetual contract.

I would love to move to Starhub, if only they gave me free phone line like M1. These days with WFH it helps to sometime dial in to the conference via phone.
Even if you join now, you are not going to get that price anymore man. Prices have gone up quite substantially. So if M1 works best for you, i.e. comes with a free phone line, no harm sticking with it.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Even if you join now, you are not going to get that price anymore man. Prices have gone up quite substantially. So if M1 works best for you, i.e. comes with a free phone line, no harm sticking with it.
I believe SH 500mbps is same price $29.90 as M1 500mbps, but SH after 24 months I can just continue month by month with no contract, at same price. I would actually prefer that if only they give free phone line. Has anybody managed to negotiate free phone line from them? What if you downgrade from 1gbps to 500mbps after contract, will they take away the free phone line?

kiama

Master Member
Reaction score
My 1Gbps plan expiring next month and today received a SMS for this offer "Free 2 months 1Gbps Broadband @$39.90/mth"

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.