M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
This belief is what manufacturers are aiming for. Started with AX routers will spread to AX clients like access points, usb dongles, lap tops with AX, mobile phones with AX, etc. All older wifi5 with 1300Mbps (wifi4 450Mbps) models become e-waste. On the other hand, the source even 500Mbps is overkill (200Mbps is enough). What a contradiction?

To go for 500Mbps source is akin to allowing the ISP to throttle 50% of the source. Then upgrade to Wifi6 with such a handicap is ..... I don't know what to say anymore....

bandwidth given at ISP side is something controllable by end users. 500Mbps is more than sufficient so not a problem.

wireless is having technical limitation therefore the speed is always below the theoritical speed and even after installed there are many factors that affect what the speed which users will get eventually. but users can buy a better wifi routers with better wifi coverage and speed to attain higher speed that can eventually meet the user needs. in most cases, no users really need AX routers at this point as most devices connected via wifi to your wireless router DO NOT need full theoritical speed. Imagine what can be connected via wireless will be your phones, tables, laptops etc. As long as your wifi router can give you minimum bandwidth that are enough for daily activities, that's already good enough. it is better to buy more wifi routers such as mesh systems to ensure your entire house is covered with good signal than just for the sake of going for ax. or even go with the option of mesh system via wired.

dun see any contracdtion here.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bandwidth given at ISP side is something controllable by end users. 500Mbps is more than sufficient so not a problem.
wireless is having technical limitation therefore the speed is always below the theoritical speed and even after installed there are many factors that affect what the speed which users will get eventually. but users can buy a better wifi routers with better wifi coverage and speed to attain higher speed that can eventually meet the user needs. in most cases, no users really need AX routers at this point as most devices connected via wifi to your wireless router DO NOT need full theoritical speed. Imagine what can be connected via wireless will be your phones, tables, laptops etc. As long as your wifi router can give you minimum bandwidth that are enough for daily activities, that's already good enough. it is better to buy more wifi routers such as mesh systems to ensure your entire house is covered with good signal than just for the sake of going for ax. or even go with the option of mesh system via wired.
dun see any contracdtion here.

I do see the benefits of Wifi 6 routers now. WiFi 6E can be even better with the 6GHz bands (but initial batch of 6E routers can be expensive due to the fact that they need to have triband).

Even now it is already good to upgrade your desktop/laptop to WiFi 6E since the upgrade is really cheap with Intel AX200 based adapters.

There are also other benefits with WiFi 6 routers like the more efficient use of the spectrum/bandwidth and potentially better coverage and better performance even for AC clients.

So yes in a way if you have a good AC router you may not need upgrade. But on the other hand, the price of AX routers are pretty cheap now so it makes sense to upgrade if you feel existing AC routers are not up to task.

Once I retired my old Linksys WRT1900AC main router to the Asus RT-AX82U China version (below S$200), I saw leaps and bounds in terms of 5GHz coverage and speed of my devices (AX and non AX). The fastest wireless devices (not including routers in wireless bridge mode) is actually an 2*2 AC device with 160MHz support (Intel AC9560 Wifi adapter for a Dell laptop with 9th gen core i7 CPU) as it can reach 900Mbps+. And of course my AX devices (Mac Mini M1 and an older Windows laptop with upgraded Intel AX200 adapter) also saw greater wifi speed.

AX based mesh is also good especially when you need to use wireless backhaul.

So in a way, I do see the benefits of AX routers now. But of course you can wait if your existing AC router is good enough for your use case.

SiaoAngMoh

Reaction score
AX allows for more efficient use of the radio spectrum, something that's very important for people living in apartments where multiple neighbours will be within interference range. As much as the manufacturers are obviously out to profit from the transition, it benefits everyone for devices to be upgraded.
This. The other reason for the push to AX everything ... some of the benefits of AX are negated in the presence of AC or lower. So it would benefit all when every device is AX or better (when the time comes).

I'm personally waiting to replace my AC wave 2 AP with an AX one, once 6E is permitted here.

badkham07

Reaction score
anyone knows if there is stock for the basic AX router M1? I went down to Bugis outlet over the weekend, and they ran out of stock.

kelvinti

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone knows if there is stock for the basic AX router M1? I went down to Bugis outlet over the weekend, and they ran out of stock.
Hmm...I thought that the M1 BB comes with the ASUS RT-AX55 already?

I just got my M1 1Gbps with ASUS RT-AX55 installed on the 23rd June.

My M1 1Gbps with ASUS RT-AX55 is working super well at home (Opted for Smart Connect Wi-Fi bands)! Finally Wi-Fi 6 it is on my Samsung S21 Plus!

badkham07

Reaction score
Hmm...I thought that the M1 BB comes with the ASUS RT-AX55 already?

I just got my M1 1Gbps with ASUS RT-AX55 installed on the 23rd June.

My M1 1Gbps with ASUS RT-AX55 is working super well at home (Opted for Smart Connect Wi-Fi bands)! Finally Wi-Fi 6 it is on my Samsung S21 Plus!
supposed to be, but last week they told me no stock, and offer a TP link model. I decided to wait until they restock.

OHutQ85

Reaction score
Hi Ppl, thinking of signing up M1 500Mbps + the AX88U router for new 5rm bto.

Thinking of placing the router at the living room on tv console, will the router able to provide good coverage for whole area?

Is it over kill to get AX88U for 5rm hdb flat and at just 500Mbps?

Thanks in Advance~

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thinking of placing the router at the living room on tv console, will the router able to provide good coverage for whole area?

Thanks in Advance~
It has a very wide coverage if you're using wifi6.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks in Advance~

In terms of router recommendations, there is really no difference between 500Mbps and 1Gbps.

Depending on the floor plan and placement of the router, maybe one RT-AX88U is actually not enough and definitely not overkill at all.

But I will actually recommend to buy RT-AX86U (check Courts promotion to get good price) than RT-AX88U, RT-AX88U seems to be plagued by FW updates issues if you read the RT-AX88U thread. Maybe the BCM49408 CPU used in RT-AX88U is not as stable as the BCM4908 CPU used in RT-AX86U/GT-AX11000. Main benefit of RT-AX88U is the 8 LAN port but RT-AX86U has the 2.5GbLAN port.

Best offer price for RT-AX86U Gundam special edition from Courts 618 promotion is at S$312, which is superb offer. But that offer is no more.

If single router is not enough, you can get RT-AX55 to form AImesh. Make sure you have two LAN ports (close to each other) on the living room where you want to put the main wireless router.

ruffruff

Master Member
Reaction score

Thanks in Advance~
It might not be enough, i used to do that but signal at MBR and MB-toilet is quite weak. End up, use 1 router + AP, then later move on to AiMesh.

carbonaddictxd

Reaction score
I'm on the M1 500 Mbps plan and I'm only able to hit 140Mbps speed on LAN connection directly to the router RT-AC1200G+. Any ideas why?

OHutQ85

Reaction score
In terms of router recommendations, there is really no difference between 500Mbps and 1Gbps.

Depending on the floor plan and placement of the router, maybe one RT-AX88U is actually not enough and definitely not overkill at all.

But I will actually recommend to buy RT-AX86U (check Courts promotion to get good price) than RT-AX88U, RT-AX88U seems to be plagued by FW updates issues if you read the RT-AX88U thread. Maybe the BCM49408 CPU used in RT-AX88U is not as stable as the BCM4908 CPU used in RT-AX86U/GT-AX11000. Main benefit of RT-AX88U is the 8 LAN port but RT-AX86U has the 2.5GbLAN port.

Best offer price for RT-AX86U Gundam special edition from Courts 618 promotion is at S$312, which is superb offer. But that offer is no more.

If single router is not enough, you can get RT-AX55 to form AImesh. Make sure you have two LAN ports (close to each other) on the living room where you want to put the main wireless router.
Thanks alot for the advice... Now court selling the AX86U at $332 with the July promo and M1 with sign up - purchase with purchase is $378 for the AX88U

OHutQ85

Reaction score
It might not be enough, i used to do that but signal at MBR and MB-toilet is quite weak. End up, use 1 router + AP, then later move on to AiMesh.
O dear~..... if like that risky to get those high end router. Later same issue like you

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.