ANZ Optimum World Mastercard

more3cm

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
39
Any further explanation from cso? Eg agoda considered online travel portal or mcc for agoda etc

No he just said AGODA is classified as travel. I guess he meant MCC. He also mentioned if wanna ensure can get the 5%, better pay through the hotel's website or swipe card at the hotel reception itself.

Not complaining much cos' already got 7% discount from using anz card on agoda, just trying my luck on this further 5% rebate
 
Last edited:

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Messages
23,331
Reaction score
1,206
No he just said AGODA is classified as travel. I guess he meant MCC. He also mentioned if wanna ensure can get the 5%, better pay through the hotel's website or swipe card at the hotel reception itself.

Not complaining much cos' already got 7% discount from using anz card on agoda, just trying my luck on this further 5% rebate

I just tried call ANZ and test them which Category AGODA falls under. The cso cannot confirm whether AGODA falls under travel category or not, will need to test to find out... lol. Same for cruise, cannot confirm. So lousy one. I believe they use a computer program to calculate the rebate and thus will need to assign the logic to determine a transaction fall under which category. Beats me why the logic is not made known to the cso. They just say based on merchant code, which doesn't really tell much. Guess I will only use the card for transactions that I am 100% certain falls under the category I choose.
 

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Messages
23,331
Reaction score
1,206
I assume the promotion is separate from the normal usage of the card. The normal benefit not affected by the promo. You can call anz to check and post here
 

keniphone

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2014
Messages
2,070
Reaction score
31

zoossh

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2000
Messages
86,147
Reaction score
18,861
I just tried call ANZ and test them which Category AGODA falls under. The cso cannot confirm whether AGODA falls under travel category or not, will need to test to find out... lol. Same for cruise, cannot confirm. So lousy one. I believe they use a computer program to calculate the rebate and thus will need to assign the logic to determine a transaction fall under which category. Beats me why the logic is not made known to the cso. They just say based on merchant code, which doesn't really tell much. Guess I will only use the card for transactions that I am 100% certain falls under the category I choose.

so lousy. cso dun even bother to clarify with the card department.
 

more3cm

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
39

The way the T&C describe Misc Retail is quite restrictive? Without the word "etc" after the last item, mecham only the bracketed MCCs qualify

"MCC – Miscellaneous Retail (book stores, florist, pet stores, beauty and spa, hair salon), excludes groceries and supermarket, departmental stores, electronics and computers, furniture and travel related products.
 

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Messages
23,331
Reaction score
1,206
The way the T&C describe Misc Retail is quite restrictive? Without the word "etc" after the last item, mecham only the bracketed MCCs qualify

"MCC – Miscellaneous Retail (book stores, florist, pet stores, beauty and spa, hair salon), excludes groceries and supermarket, departmental stores, electronics and computers, furniture and travel related products.


Yes. It is restrictive. The T&C should be and is correctively precise to not have 'etc' which is open to interpretation.
 

more3cm

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
39
Yes. It is restrictive. The T&C should be and is correctively precise to not have 'etc' which is open to interpretation.

If only these 5 MCCs in brackets are to be included then not sure why is there an exclusion list immediately after that...

Grammatically, things inside () are less important than the main text too. Though the bank always wins in case of disputes
 
Last edited:

edmunk

Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
288
Reaction score
0
for merchant code (MCC) best to check with merchants as they will have a better idea what they had registered their company under.

Also, recently i was told by the cso over the phone that the 5% is limited to max $30 per transactions. therefore my spending of $790 and $970 will only yield me a max of $30 each instead of $39.50 and $48.50.
 

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Messages
23,331
Reaction score
1,206
for merchant code (MCC) best to check with merchants as they will have a better idea what they had registered their company under.

Also, recently i was told by the cso over the phone that the 5% is limited to max $30 per transactions. therefore my spending of $790 and $970 will only yield me a max of $30 each instead of $39.50 and $48.50.

Think most salesperson at the merchant don't know the MCC, just give me a blank look when I asked. :s8:

5% is limited to max $30 per transactions, but you can split payment and charge to the card more than once. Eg $600+$190 to get 30+9.5 optimum$
 

more3cm

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
39
for merchant code (MCC) best to check with merchants as they will have a better idea what they had registered their company under.

Ya most of the cashiers will give you a MCC (矇查查) look too...


Also, recently i was told by the cso over the phone that the 5% is limited to max $30 per transactions. therefore my spending of $790 and $970 will only yield me a max of $30 each instead of $39.50 and $48.50.

This is clear from the T&C, but the GSS promo creates another layer of confusion. Say you fulfill all the conditions (min 5 transactions & min $1500) ,and 2 of your spent of $750 each qualifies for both the 10% and your own chosen category for 5%.

Since both are above the $600, you get $30 each for each spend only for the chosen cat with your next statement. But later when the 10% comes within 45days, you should get back = $150-30-30 = $90. Very hard to track and verify unless you are dead sure which one attracts 10%, 5% or 1%
 

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Messages
23,331
Reaction score
1,206
This is clear from the T&C, but the GSS promo creates another layer of confusion. Say you fulfill all the conditions (min 5 transactions & min $1500) ,and 2 of your spent of $750 each qualifies for both the 10% and your own chosen category for 5%.

Since both are above the $600, you get $30 each for each spend only for the chosen cat with your next statement. But later when the 10% comes within 45days, you should get back = $150-30-30 = $90. Very hard to track and verify unless you are dead sure which one attracts 10%, 5% or 1%

I am confused about the $150-30-30 = $90. Correct me if I am wrong, I thought the GSS promo is independent of the normal benefit of the card. So if both 5% and 10% are qualified, we get 5%+10% optimum$
 

more3cm

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
39
I am confused about the $150-30-30 = $90. Correct me if I am wrong, I thought the GSS promo is independent of the normal benefit of the card. So if both 5% and 10% are qualified, we get 5%+10% optimum$

I am not sure, though I assume banks not so generous... And if the max possible rebate is really 15% then ANZ would have bolded the text and put it big big... 15%
 

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Messages
23,331
Reaction score
1,206
I am not sure, though I assume banks not so generous... And if the max possible rebate is really 15% then ANZ would have bolded the text and put it big big... 15%

Well, I really do think the promo is independent of normal rewards for at least 4 reasons:

1) If we use the ANZ travel card for the promo, the 10% is in terms of cash rebate, not the usual miles

2) assuming we get more than 150 optimum$ from the 5% already, doesn't make sense we no longer get any optimum$ from the 10%.

3) Also 5% is tagged to Calendar month, but 10% is tagged to 2 qualifying periods.

4) Most importantly the promo TnC does not mention it will affect the normal rewards. If it do, it should be emphasized
 
Last edited:

ah_mah

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
314
Reaction score
85
I am confused about the $150-30-30 = $90. Correct me if I am wrong, I thought the GSS promo is independent of the normal benefit of the card. So if both 5% and 10% are qualified, we get 5%+10% optimum$

Yes Trazora is correct. I've just called ANZ to double check. We are given BOTH 10% and 5% cash rebate if we qualify to be the first 2000 cardholders. I'm so excited coz I'm bringing this card to spend in Prada outlets in June! I'll aim for my outlet trip to be on 15 June!:s12::s12:
 

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Messages
23,331
Reaction score
1,206
Yes Trazora is correct. I've just called ANZ to double check. We are given BOTH 10% and 5% cash rebate if we qualify to be the first 2000 cardholders. I'm so excited coz I'm bringing this card to spend in Prada outlets in June! I'll aim for my outlet trip to be on 15 June!:s12::s12:

Good luck for the 15% :) Btw remember you need at least 5 transactions for the 10% also.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top