Cheapest 2TB NVMe SSD

Greysky

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
25,620
Reaction score
550
wah the nvme black is back to 200+ again. is it the price will fluctuate from week to week?
 

kandinsky

Master Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2015
Messages
4,693
Reaction score
10
wah the nvme black is back to 200+ again. is it the price will fluctuate from week to week?

Frequency varies, but items from amz US you can track the price, the SG price does follow generally:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07M64QXMN

CEVjLaR.png
 

hafiz116

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
1,151
Reaction score
0
My stuff finally got packed and is going to be delivered by ninjavan. Hope they don’t screw up this time!
 

hmsweethm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2001
Messages
12,652
Reaction score
3,060
reading some old post, you can issue case to wd customer care to do warranty transfer.

dunno if it is still working or not.
After I use the 2nd link about that just key in the sn of the ssd, there is a small blue box on the right side.
Once click, you can enter your particulars(same as registering warranty link) to register your country, where u bought the ssd etc.
I suppose that’s warranty transfer.
 

KYOGRE

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
917
Reaction score
63
Just to add on my recent experience.

Have 2x 1TB 970 Evo Plus,
when i run Crystal Disk, the temp easily reach 90deg (wo A/C) and throttling is to be expected.

Both idle ard 45~55 depending on which slot i place them & the ambience temp.

Skip to 6:15



Highest temp reading came from ssd controller. NAND flash temp has to be kept operating at 40-50deg c else falling below that will affect data integrity.
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,746
Reaction score
30,355
https://www.eeweb.com/profile/eli-t...al-temperature-and-nand-flash-in-ssd-products

Conclusion

NAND is subject to two competing factors relative to temperature. At high temperature, programming and erasing a NAND cell is relatively less stressful to its structure, but data retention of a NAND cell suffers. At low temperature, data retention of the NAND cell is enhanced but the relative stress to the cell structure due to program and erase operations increases.

The effects of temperature apply in varying degrees to all NAND devices from all NAND vendors. Industrial temperature rated NAND devices from the manufacturer are tested for functionality at temperatures of -40˚C and +85˚C (depending on the NAND manufacturer’s specification), but that does not give these parts higher endurance or greater immunity to the effect of charge de-trapping. Sensitivities to these factors appear to be increasing as NAND process geometries shrink, but the actual endurance and data retention characteristics of a particular NAND device will vary between NAND manufacturers, process materials, and geometries.

Therefore, it behooves the SSD vendor to fully understand the physical characteristics of the NAND chosen for various applications, and to specify SSD products with the different endurance and data retention characteristics seen across the industrial temperature range. At the same time, it is also important for users of NAND flash based SSDs to understand the relationship between temperature, data retention, and endurance; and how their usage models will affect the long term reliability of the SSD.

The best way to optimize the data retention of a NAND-based SSD is to limit the temperature at which the NAND flash is stored. When the drive has reached or is approaching its end of life, limiting the time of exposure to high temperature will also help extend the data retention.

tl;dr

High temperature = More endurance but less retention

Low temperature = More retention but less endurance
 

hmsweethm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2001
Messages
12,652
Reaction score
3,060
https://www.eeweb.com/profile/eli-t...al-temperature-and-nand-flash-in-ssd-products



tl;dr

High temperature = More endurance but less retention

Low temperature = More retention but less endurance

In sg, our ambient temp is around 33degC.
Our CPU without oc runs around 49-50degC.
With the casing circulating fans, i think the ssd is subjected to temp around 33 - 50degC.
So not consider high temp i suppose.
All along i thought only the Limitation of the ssd is the read/write cycles.
 

hafiz116

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
1,151
Reaction score
0
In sg, our ambient temp is around 33degC.
Our CPU without oc runs around 49-50degC.
With the casing circulating fans, i think the ssd is subjected to temp around 33 - 50degC.
So not consider high temp i suppose.
All along i thought only the Limitation of the ssd is the read/write cycles.

This is about what I observe in my 3950X build. Gaming in 4K can push up to about 78-80. I noticed if I game in 1440P I can bring that temp down by about 10 degrees so at about 70!
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,350
Reaction score
1,507
This is about what I observe in my 3950X build. Gaming in 4K can push up to about 78-80. I noticed if I game in 1440P I can bring that temp down by about 10 degrees so at about 70!

Not just in your 3950X build. At 4k, your GPU is working the hardest and completely GPU bound. 1440p is abit of CPU and largely GPU and 1080p is largely CPU bound. That's why most CPUs are benchmarked at 1080p when testing for IPC gains and gaming performance. Most CPUs perform around the same 1440p and up.
 

hafiz116

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
1,151
Reaction score
0
Not just in your 3950X build. At 4k, your GPU is working the hardest and completely GPU bound. 1440p is abit of CPU and largely GPU and 1080p is largely CPU bound. That's why most CPUs are benchmarked at 1080p when testing for IPC gains and gaming performance. Most CPUs perform around the same 1440p and up.

Yep the bottleneck is on the GPU and I've seen it while playing,... Will be interesting what the 3000 series has to offer to address 4K gaming in the coming months :s22:
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,350
Reaction score
1,507
Yep the bottleneck is on the GPU and I've seen it while playing,... Will be interesting what the 3000 series has to offer to address 4K gaming in the coming months :s22:

I think the 3090 will be the answer to 4K gaming. But cost of 4K high refresh monitor and GPU would probably be the cost of one kickass DIY. :(
 

hafiz116

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
1,151
Reaction score
0
I think the 3090 will be the answer to 4K gaming. But cost of 4K high refresh monitor and GPU would probably be the cost of one kickass DIY. :(

Agree there,.. I bought my current monitor (last year) for work and didn't think about gaming at the time,.. then COVID came around so started to relook at PC builds again which is how I ended up with the current build in late March.

Moving forward I am considering of getting another 4K higher refresh monitor once I know what the 3090 has to offer but that wont be for a while yet,...
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,350
Reaction score
1,507
At 1440p I think the 2080 Ti is actually good enough for 1440p high refresh. The 3090 is for those suffering at 4k with the 2080 Ti and already have a 4k high refresh monitor. Besides, I most likely need to wait for EK to come out with a compatible waterblock before I upgrade too. But no rush really like you said. Better to wait it out anyway since Ampere is a new architecture.
 

hafiz116

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
1,151
Reaction score
0
any cheap 960GB/1TB ssd?

was looking for HP 900 but sold out liao...

The WD Black 1TB was going for $189 last week on Amazon. It's now at $210. I have seen the price drop to $189 twice now so just add it to your cart and monitor it.

The WD Black 500GB was $112 last week and I ordered 2 of them. Its now $98!
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top