Good Power Banks?

ussr_1991

Banned
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
5,460
Reaction score
419
I can't comment unless you are able to measure the output of the power bank effectively (using a USB doctor is one way).

It looks like a copycat of Romoss Power bank don't you think?
FYbJWwu.jpg

Not sure which company came out first though.

Your phone must be about 2 years old? If so, battery capacity would definitely be lower due to ageing. My 2 year old iPhone 4S only held about 70% of it's charge (meaning, when I charge my phone to "100%", the actual percentage is 70%).

I fail to understand your last two paragraph. Can you rephrase? I only understand that he changed your iPhones internal battery, right?

Yes, my phone is indeed slightly > 2yrs old

Signed my 2 yr phone contract on 2013 Dec

I am saying that my Neo powerbank works as intended, no issues with charging / discharging at all.


Problem is:

1) Phone heats up especially with 4G turned on.

2) iPhone battery was replaced yesterday, and the battery is found to have expanded somehow.

I would later try and attach some image for clarity purpose.

3) Through 3rd party Chinese Apps found in App Store, I have found that my phone temp hovering at 34 to 37 degrees, with peak at 39 degrees (Without running games, and I have uninstalled games like Asphat 8) before I have change the battery.


Now, it is typically below 35 degrees even with 4G on.
 

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
19,009
Reaction score
1,726
Yes, my phone is indeed slightly > 2yrs old

Signed my 2 yr phone contract on 2013 Dec

I am saying that my Neo powerbank works as intended, no issues with charging / discharging at all.

Problem is:

1) Phone heats up especially with 4G turned on.

2) iPhone battery was replaced yesterday, and the battery is found to have expanded somehow.

I would later try and attach some image for clarity purpose.

3) Through 3rd party Chinese Apps found in App Store, I have found that my phone temp hovering at 34 to 37 degrees, with peak at 39 degrees (Without running games, and I have uninstalled games like Asphat 8) before I have change the battery.

Now, it is typically below 35 degrees even with 4G on.

How was the battery replaced?
Was it installed by your friend or by some shop?
Did he buy the replacement battery itself?
Did he buy it from a shady third-party vendor?

What were you doing when you said your phone heats up with 4G on? Were you playing games? Idling at home screen? Surfing the web? Watch videos?
 

ussr_1991

Banned
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
5,460
Reaction score
419
How was the battery replaced?
Was it installed by your friend or by some shop?
Did he buy the replacement battery itself?
Did he buy it from a shady third-party vendor?

What were you doing when you said your phone heats up with 4G on? Were you playing games? Idling at home screen? Surfing the web? Watch videos?

The battery looks exactly same as the original battery. He buys them in China directly.

It is done in a DIY format (Not shop), probably he learnt that on iFixit Tutorials as he uses tools made from iFixit.

Typically is idling or surfing web without videos. At most play 2048 only since mine is 16GB model.
 

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
19,009
Reaction score
1,726
The battery looks exactly same as the original battery. He buys them in China directly.

It is done in a DIY format (Not shop), probably he learnt that on iFixit Tutorials as he uses tools made from iFixit.

Typically is idling or surfing web without videos. At most play 2048 only since mine is 16GB model.

China makes good counterfeit products. What he bought could have been a lousy quality battery. Hence the heat issues.

Let me put it this way, was your phone heating just as hot when you were using your phone with it's original battery before?
 

ussr_1991

Banned
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
5,460
Reaction score
419
China makes good counterfeit products. What he bought could have been a lousy quality battery. Hence the heat issues.

Let me put it this way, was your phone heating just as hot when you were using your phone with it's original battery before?

Noooooo.....


What i meant is that before i change the battery, there is heat issues and even the battery starts to expand....


Now i changed already, so far so good, but more time is needed to make a conclusive decision on whether the new battery is good or not.


I am here to ask whether a Neo Powerbank as above, is a cause to my original battery issue because it is all over the web that lousy powerbank can harm a phone battery.

And you had mentioned that this Neo powerbank has a similar design as some other brand earlier...
 

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
19,009
Reaction score
1,726
Noooooo.....

What i meant is that before i change the battery, there is heat issues and even the battery starts to expand....

Now i changed already, so far so good, but more time is needed to make a conclusive decision on whether the new battery is good or not.

Now I understand! :s22: That was confusing!

:eek: You should have brought your phone to Apple even though your warranty has ended. I helped change my brothers iPhone 5 battery because of the bloating issue, the staff agreed to replace at no cost! I believe your unit was one of them.

I am here to ask whether a Neo Powerbank as above, is a cause to my original battery issue because it is all over the web that lousy powerbank can harm a phone battery.

And you had mentioned that this Neo powerbank has a similar design as some other brand earlier...

No. If you have been following the news and this sub-forum, Apple is offering battery replacement (due to batch issues with battery becoming bloated) to its iPhone 5/5S models.

Also, I believe all that is just rumours and porbably a myth. This is because it is the phone that decides how much power to consume for charge, not the charger/power bank.
 
Last edited:

ussr_1991

Banned
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
5,460
Reaction score
419
Now I understand! :s22: That was confusing!

:eek: You should have brought your phone to Apple even though your warranty has ended. I helped change my brothers iPhone 5 battery because of the bloating issue, the staff agreed to replace at no cost! I believe your unit was one of them.



No. If you have been following the news and this sub-forum, Apple is offering battery replacement (due to batch issues with battery becoming bloated) to its iPhone 5/5S models.

Also, I believe all that is just rumours and porbably a myth. This is because it is the phone that decides how much power to consume for charge, not the charger/power bank.



Based on Apple Singapore, currently the battery replacement program applies to iPhone 5 only, not 5S nor 5C. But who knows there will be such a replacement program for iPhone 5C/S in a year's time or two (But whether would my phone explodes then is another factor to consider).

http://www.apple.com/sg/support/exchange_repair/



The only model newer than iPhone 5 has a replacement program is a 6 Plus for the iSight Camera......



But thanks for the reassuring that the powerbank is not a problem despite the wide range of brand, pricing and naturally quality comes into mind.
 

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
19,009
Reaction score
1,726
Based on Apple Singapore, currently the battery replacement program applies to iPhone 5 only, not 5S nor 5C. But who knows there will be such a replacement program for iPhone 5C/S in a year's time or two (But whether would my phone explodes then is another factor to consider).

http://www.apple.com/sg/support/exchange_repair/

The only model newer than iPhone 5 has a replacement program is a 6 Plus for the iSight Camera......

But thanks for the reassuring that the powerbank is not a problem despite the wide range of brand, pricing and naturally quality comes into mind.

Never hurts to try. However, not that you've "modified" your iPhone, please note that you may not meet the requirements of the replacement program (if any).

You're welcome. :)
 

laeticia

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Messages
1,999
Reaction score
129
Does Xiaomi sell power banks at it service centre? Looking for a power bank but want to see how small the 14,000 mAh power bank is irl
 
Last edited:

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Messages
20,321
Reaction score
1,819
Does Xiaomi sell power banks at it service centre? Looking for a power bank but want to see how small the 14,000 mAh power bank is irl

Xiaomi only have 5000, 10000, 16000 and the newest 20000. I'm trying to get hold of the 20000 but can't source for it, else have to settle for the 16000.
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,484
Reaction score
3,163
Xiaomi only have 5000, 10000, 16000 and the newest 20000. I'm trying to get hold of the 20000 but can't source for it, else have to settle for the 16000.

challenger has it iirc...
 

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Messages
20,321
Reaction score
1,819
challenger has it iirc...

I don't recall Challenger selling Xiaomi Powerbanks though.

I currently have a Jumbox 10400 powerbank bought a few years back but now it mainly serves as a power supply for my Muji USB fan, so looking for the Xiaomi one for on-the-go/travel use.
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,484
Reaction score
3,163
I don't recall Challenger selling Xiaomi Powerbanks though.

I currently have a Jumbox 10400 powerbank bought a few years back but now it mainly serves as a power supply for my Muji USB fan, so looking for the Xiaomi one for on-the-go/travel use.

they r currently selling. my wife bought e 10k one last week. not sure if e 20k one was there though...
 

jq75

Honorary Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2000
Messages
143,057
Reaction score
5,010
powerbanks, the bigger the mAh the better yah?

guess so as google a bit and got these results

The higher the mAh, the longer the battery will last.

A battery rated for more mAh will power a phone for a longer amount of time, given the same usage pattern. The trade-off is that batteries with more mAh are generally also physically larger.

More technically, a higher mAh rating means the (fully-charged) battery can power a device that consumes more power and/or for a longer amount of time before becoming depleted and needing to be re-charged.
 
Last edited:

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Messages
20,321
Reaction score
1,819
they r currently selling. my wife bought e 10k one last week. not sure if e 20k one was there though...

I will check at the Challenger at my place (White Sands) but it's a small store. If don't have then will need to source elsewhere.
 

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Messages
20,321
Reaction score
1,819
challenger has an online store too...

I see. I earlier on visited the Challenger mini at White Sands Pasir Ris and they've no Xiaomi power banks on sale. Think might have to go for the 16000 instead.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top