INTEL CPUs *OC Benchmark & Discussion*

Yongkit

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
5,912
Reaction score
2,499


For this have plan to get air cooler with 13600k should be alright just need to take note of the power draw with the cooler you planning to purchase

Screenshot_20221026-102328.png
 

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
95c on open test bench. he needed to test inside a case. definitely will throttle for all core usage
 

Yongkit

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
5,912
Reaction score
2,499
Generally that would be the limitations of single tower air cooler on push pull configuration with undervolting and down clock is the only way to lower temperature for 125w k cpu, throttling is inevitable.
 

stanlawj

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2021
Messages
10,254
Reaction score
5,539
Does anyone think DDR5 is useless for gaming, if DDR4 can actually provide similar frame rates? How come this reviewer's DDR4 and DDR5 gaming results don't show any significant difference?
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,034
Reaction score
8,286
Does anyone think DDR5 is useless for gaming, if DDR4 can actually provide similar frame rates? How come this reviewer's DDR4 and DDR5 gaming results don't show any significant difference?


During in-game scenarios where the CPU bottlenecks causing the GPU usage to drop, then it will matter. The results depend on the type of scenario reviewers perform their benchmarks.

Obviously, in less busy scenarios, the bottleneck will not surface.
 

LiLAsN

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
2,700
Reaction score
510
Finally got my system got up and running. What a huge hassle due to space constraints on the Phanteks Evolv X case for the cables to fit through as a result of the motherboard being eATX. Reminds me why I was hesitant to upgrademy CPU and motherboard in the first place. But being able to not use an PCIe m.2 adapter is great. A huge hassle nonetheless.

Applying Derbauer's 90W power limit, finally the room feels cool. It's a burning furnace due to am facing an issue where I was in the BIOS for quite a while while the system is running at max while in BIOS.

The issue that I am facing is this annoying Q-Code 16 error. The display on the motherboard says 'Check CPU'. While the manual says 15-18 is "Pre-memory System Agent initialization is started".

I was running the system at stock with MCE disabled. Used only 1 RAM at a time on the 2nd slot. Removed the cables and reslot them in. Yet, this Q-Code 16 error still occurs. I am at a loss.

What's okay at least is that on the first boot after the PC receives power, I can get straight into Windows and use my PC normally including gaming to stress test the system a bit to find out what's the cause.
However if the PC restarts or starts up from a 2nd boot with power beforehand, it will go to this Q-Code error and get stuck there.

My GPU drivers needed to be re-installed. So something to take note for those who are upgrading. Again, Windows is running stable. This is just an issue during the 2nd system boot up with it receiving power especially if your PC restarts due to having to install drivers and/or updates.

Here's a reddit of a couple of people with the same issue on their system.
Reddit Thread

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,034
Reaction score
8,286
Finally got my system got up and running. What a huge hassle due to space constraints on the Phanteks Evolv X case for the cables to fit through as a result of the motherboard being eATX. Reminds me why I was hesitant to upgrademy CPU and motherboard in the first place. But being able to not use an PCIe m.2 adapter is great. A huge hassle nonetheless.

Applying Derbauer's 90W power limit, finally the room feels cool. It's a burning furnace due to am facing an issue where I was in the BIOS for quite a while while the system is running at max while in BIOS.

The issue that I am facing is this annoying Q-Code 16 error. The display on the motherboard says 'Check CPU'. While the manual says 15-18 is "Pre-memory System Agent initialization is started".

I was running the system at stock with MCE disabled. Used only 1 RAM at a time on the 2nd slot. Removed the cables and reslot them in. Yet, this Q-Code 16 error still occurs. I am at a loss.

What's okay at least is that on the first boot after the PC receives power, I can get straight into Windows and use my PC normally including gaming to stress test the system a bit to find out what's the cause.
However if the PC restarts or starts up from a 2nd boot with power beforehand, it will go to this Q-Code error and get stuck there.

My GPU drivers needed to be re-installed. So something to take note for those who are upgrading. Again, Windows is running stable. This is just an issue during the 2nd system boot up with it receiving power especially if your PC restarts due to having to install drivers and/or updates.

Here's a reddit of a couple of people with the same issue on their system.
Reddit Thread

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Then everytime you need to hard reset bios for it to work?
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,342
Reaction score
1,491
Finally got my system got up and running. What a huge hassle due to space constraints on the Phanteks Evolv X case for the cables to fit through as a result of the motherboard being eATX. Reminds me why I was hesitant to upgrademy CPU and motherboard in the first place. But being able to not use an PCIe m.2 adapter is great. A huge hassle nonetheless.

Applying Derbauer's 90W power limit, finally the room feels cool. It's a burning furnace due to am facing an issue where I was in the BIOS for quite a while while the system is running at max while in BIOS.

The issue that I am facing is this annoying Q-Code 16 error. The display on the motherboard says 'Check CPU'. While the manual says 15-18 is "Pre-memory System Agent initialization is started".

I was running the system at stock with MCE disabled. Used only 1 RAM at a time on the 2nd slot. Removed the cables and reslot them in. Yet, this Q-Code 16 error still occurs. I am at a loss.

What's okay at least is that on the first boot after the PC receives power, I can get straight into Windows and use my PC normally including gaming to stress test the system a bit to find out what's the cause.
However if the PC restarts or starts up from a 2nd boot with power beforehand, it will go to this Q-Code error and get stuck there.

My GPU drivers needed to be re-installed. So something to take note for those who are upgrading. Again, Windows is running stable. This is just an issue during the 2nd system boot up with it receiving power especially if your PC restarts due to having to install drivers and/or updates.

Here's a reddit of a couple of people with the same issue on their system.
Reddit Thread

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Did you flash the Intel Management Interface to the latest version? I'm presuming you are on Z690? The other thing is disable fast startup in windows also.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/z690-13th-gen-upgrade-process.6827162/
 

LiLAsN

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
2,700
Reaction score
510
Did you flash the Intel Management Interface to the latest version? I'm presuming you are on Z690? The other thing is disable fast startup in windows also.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/z690-13th-gen-upgrade-process.6827162/
Yes! I followed your guide on your thread. Thanks a lot for that.
And yes, I disabled fast startup.
I'm on Maximus Z790 Extreme.


Then everytime you need to hard reset bios for it to work?


No. There's no need to thankfully. As when the doing the initial boot, I can modify the BIOS settings and store them. As mentioned, the error occurs when the motherboard is running a different kind of checks when Windows either restarts or I resume from a shutdown/sleep/hibernate without cutting off the power to the motherboard first.

On the downside, I can't risk upgrading to Windows 11 yet without risking bricking Windows as a result of not being able to restart during install. So I don't think I'm taking advantage of the e-Cores. 😅

It seems that the protocol of the Motherboard when doing a reboot when the motherboard is still receiving power is to run that check that results in it getting stuck at the Q-Code 16 number. On boot up without power initially, it won't check this code. Thus, not leading to it getting stuck with the error.
Some other errors that I've experienced are Q-Code 15 and 01; But that was a 1 time thing. Q-Code 16 is consistent.
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,342
Reaction score
1,491
Yes! I followed your guide on your thread. Thanks a lot for that.
And yes, I disabled fast startup.
I'm on Maximus Z790 Extreme.





No. There's no need to thankfully. As when the doing the initial boot, I can modify the BIOS settings and store them. As mentioned, the error occurs when the motherboard is running a different kind of checks when Windows either restarts or I resume from a shutdown/sleep/hibernate without cutting off the power to the motherboard first.

On the downside, I can't risk upgrading to Windows 11 yet without risking bricking Windows as a result of not being able to restart during install. So I don't think I'm taking advantage of the e-Cores. 😅

It seems that the protocol of the Motherboard when doing a reboot when the motherboard is still receiving power is to run that check that results in it getting stuck at the Q-Code 16 number. On boot up without power initially, it won't check this code. Thus, not leading to it getting stuck with the error.
Some other errors that I've experienced are Q-Code 15 and 01; But that was a 1 time thing. Q-Code 16 is consistent.
At this point, I'll advise you to try the latest beta bios for the Z790 Extreme straight from Shamino's Dropbox. Remember to rename the CAP file accordingly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lcuwog9o4sxqd7/ROG-MAXIMUS-Z790-EXTREME-ASUS-0701.zip?dl=0
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,034
Reaction score
8,286
Yes! I followed your guide on your thread. Thanks a lot for that.
And yes, I disabled fast startup.
I'm on Maximus Z790 Extreme.





No. There's no need to thankfully. As when the doing the initial boot, I can modify the BIOS settings and store them. As mentioned, the error occurs when the motherboard is running a different kind of checks when Windows either restarts or I resume from a shutdown/sleep/hibernate without cutting off the power to the motherboard first.

On the downside, I can't risk upgrading to Windows 11 yet without risking bricking Windows as a result of not being able to restart during install. So I don't think I'm taking advantage of the e-Cores. 😅

It seems that the protocol of the Motherboard when doing a reboot when the motherboard is still receiving power is to run that check that results in it getting stuck at the Q-Code 16 number. On boot up without power initially, it won't check this code. Thus, not leading to it getting stuck with the error.
Some other errors that I've experienced are Q-Code 15 and 01; But that was a 1 time thing. Q-Code 16 is consistent.

hmm, turn off fast startup but cut power can boot without issues?? I think just llst wait bios update.

In jay2centz which PC to build video, he did mention encountering quite a few hiccups, and also, during productivity tests, he said there was a couple of glitches.
 

Yongkit

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
5,912
Reaction score
2,499
13700KF $660 on amazon, price is same as 5800X3D and half of last gen zen3 flagship.... but gaming is really good! Intel is impressive leaps and bounds.

Intel ftw! :o
My info on local for 13700kf was $609 only
 

Zakhri32

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
69
Manage to hoot a 13900KF for 709, ask you all a question, if I don't plan on doing any OC, a B660 board should suffice right?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top