Living in JB

  • Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mental Health Helpline: 6389-2222 (24 hours) More info

SKenny

Banned
Joined
Jul 26, 2017
Messages
17,509
Reaction score
24
thanks for sharing. ahh ... upscale area of coz nice & comfy :)
aside from rent & car. hmm ... yes food, eating out (restaurants?) may be cheaper, but didn't find it much cheaper

may time to go look see look see :)

I often ate at the local makan places, so it can be quite cheap. RM 5 to RM 6 will get you very decent local food, which is less than S$2. In Singapore, it would protect csot you $3 to $4. It is still a decent 30 to 50% cheaper.

If you really want to eat a lower cost, visit the local wet market or local coffee shops. Or even try the Indian food. Roti prata (roti canai to them) is about RM1.30 per piece. It is about 1.5 times the size of ours. It also comes with 3 types of curry. Sometime 1 piece will be enough for me while in Singapore I would need 2 pieces.
 

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
38,423
Reaction score
2,337
I often ate at the local makan places, so it can be quite cheap. RM 5 to RM 6 will get you very decent local food, which is less than S$2. In Singapore, it would protect csot you $3 to $4. It is still a decent 30 to 50% cheaper.

If you really want to eat a lower cost, visit the local wet market or local coffee shops. Or even try the Indian food. Roti prata (roti canai to them) is about RM1.30 per piece. It is about 1.5 times the size of ours. It also comes with 3 types of curry. Sometime 1 piece will be enough for me while in Singapore I would need 2 pieces.

Nowadays all want restaurant and want air con... :( who want to go sweat it out. Btw KL small plate at publika is already RM10. Still cheaper then SG la.
 

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
38,423
Reaction score
2,337
If you want to stay in JB or KL, best is to get a gated residential area with security guard. Just search youtube "robbery KL" or "JB"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I66U0DCcQls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfcY7lsUGtM

Dunno why I dont like JB.. ppl there is like waiting to cut sporean throats.. I being harrass a few times while driving my car bearing SG plate. I own a few properties in JB and earn very little and running at lost. Should just rent if get JB property.:(
 

rrr2015

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2015
Messages
13,248
Reaction score
4,854
of coz going KL means I don't have lower cost & still get better lifestyle & meals. if one still needs to be frugal in KL, than no point moving SG to KL liao
I often ate at the local makan places, so it can be quite cheap. RM 5 to RM 6 will get you very decent local food, which is less than S$2. In Singapore, it would protect csot you $3 to $4. It is still a decent 30 to 50% cheaper.
 

rrr2015

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2015
Messages
13,248
Reaction score
4,854
i think the indonesian there still call nasi padang, restaurant name like warung garuda, something like that

quite different from malaysia nasi kandar, much more food varieties. i like their sate, sup buntul, rendang

bus frequency not so bad lah. 2hr or more maybe in some ulu areas.
Lookup nasi kandar/Melayu not nasi padang. :D and yes batam cheaper.

If u ok to wait for 1 to 2 hrs for public transport then u should be fine. Ride a bike or buy a kancil instead.
 

Midlifecrisis

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2018
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
Dunno why I dont like JB.. ppl there is like waiting to cut sporean throats.. I being harrass a few times while driving my car bearing SG plate. I own a few properties in JB and earn very little and running at lost. Should just rent if get JB property.:(

Usually I try to park a bit further from the shop or warung and use mandarin or Malay when buying things. I sold off my property at a losss .. bought exch rate 1.7 and sold at exch rate 2.5 when I converted to sporean long time ago.
 

SKenny

Banned
Joined
Jul 26, 2017
Messages
17,509
Reaction score
24
of coz going KL means I don't have lower cost & still get better lifestyle & meals. if one still needs to be frugal in KL, than no point moving SG to KL liao

For me, some of their best food are found in their local makan places and not some fancy restaurant.

But maybe that's just me.
 

lasnoblur

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
5,461
Reaction score
799
Dunno why I dont like JB.. ppl there is like waiting to cut sporean throats.. I being harrass a few times while driving my car bearing SG plate. I own a few properties in JB and earn very little and running at lost. Should just rent if get JB property.:(

jb properties saturated at the moment.

however, living there is very viable.

i myself have not lived there personally but i frequent jb regularly and their expenses is very affordable.

love their coffee shops:
teh tarik : 0.50 sgd
roti plata egg: 0.80 sgd
wanton noodle / chicken rice: 2 sgd

parking:
most mall 1 to 2 sgd for whole day
u park roadside some even free

supermarket:
much cheaper than sg

many more..
 

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
16,161
Reaction score
864
I often ate at the local makan places, so it can be quite cheap. RM 5 to RM 6 will get you very decent local food, which is less than S$2. In Singapore, it would protect csot you $3 to $4. It is still a decent 30 to 50% cheaper.

If you really want to eat a lower cost, visit the local wet market or local coffee shops. Or even try the Indian food. Roti prata (roti canai to them) is about RM1.30 per piece. It is about 1.5 times the size of ours. It also comes with 3 types of curry. Sometime 1 piece will be enough for me while in Singapore I would need 2 pieces.

Last Sat, at Bestari near Bestmart, I had indian beehoon goreng, ginger tea, indian fried egg with onion etc and sambal chicken. All in RM14.50 only.

In Hougang last nite, I had beehoon goreng and half sambal tauhu $4.50 :s13:

I usually buy Onwards toilet rolls (10 rolls 4000 sheets) at $5.95. When I saw JB selling at RM11 only, I can't help but buy :s13:

Away from JB centre, food is cheaper. At kota masai, I had char kway teow for RM5 with 5 prawns and at tmn nusa perentis, I had mee goreng at RM4 only.
 
Last edited:

mummy1234

Banned
Joined
Jan 30, 2014
Messages
17,103
Reaction score
31
U all very frugal. When I went in last weekend to JB, spent rm120 on Jap food for 2 and rm 130 on Souper Tang. But back in Sg, sl more exp , S$50 for 2 at Ship restaurent....I must learn to eat more hawker food.
 

koster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 26, 2012
Messages
11,019
Reaction score
3,772
U all very frugal. When I went in last weekend to JB, spent rm120 on Jap food for 2 and rm 130 on Souper Tang. But back in Sg, sl more exp , S$50 for 2 at Ship restaurent....I must learn to eat more hawker food.

To some, the shiokness of going to JB is to be able to live like a king with the same dollar as Singapore. If there is substantially drop in lifestyle, then not much point in doing so.
 

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
38,423
Reaction score
2,337
What is the definition of retirement for you guys? To me, I can spend more with my retirement funds, example, SGD500 spend in Jb vs SG vs KL vs Phuket. Which one gives u the most value.

Sent from HUAWEI SHT-AL09 using GAGT
 

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
38,423
Reaction score
2,337
jb properties saturated at the moment.

however, living there is very viable.

i myself have not lived there personally but i frequent jb regularly and their expenses is very affordable.

love their coffee shops:
teh tarik : 0.50 sgd
roti plata egg: 0.80 sgd
wanton noodle / chicken rice: 2 sgd

parking:
most mall 1 to 2 sgd for whole day
u park roadside some even free

supermarket:
much cheaper than sg

many more..
The reason I buy in jb is easier to monitor but I was wrong.. Jb property is forever soft one. KL and Penang is much better option.

Aiya, Buy anywhere also cheaper in sg. The problem is whether u wanna downgrade quality of life.

Sent from HUAWEI SHT-AL09 using GAGT
 
Last edited:

dork32

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
9,366
Reaction score
1,578
i suppose these units are in double gated community?
the house gate looks so low, anyone can climb in easily! :eek:

just want to share this. usually crime rate in cities are worse off than kampung. if i am an outlaw, i will rob from the rich. there are more rich people in the cities.
in kampong usually you get old people and small kids. most robin hoods will not be so mean as to rob these people. they dont have much to rob either.

i am not buying the house. but it looked real nice compared to the lousy pigeonhole that you have. i estimate the price of such units to be 4-5mil in sg.
 

dork32

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
9,366
Reaction score
1,578
Muar?! Dunno Malay wanna buy ulu area? :s22: KL city and Penang city only if u know only english and chinese. Unless your wife is Msian, good luck!

you showed experience in this post. you are right. people that dont know, buy into malay area then very chialat. in sg, we do not have this sort of segregation.

actually i did not check if it is in the malay area or not, someone ask me can get semi d for 700k RM, i just anyhow whack something.
 

RMCWMR

Banned
Joined
Jan 13, 2019
Messages
8,581
Reaction score
1
The reason I buy in jb is easier to monitor but I was wrong.. Jb property is forever soft one. KL and Penang is much better option.

Aiya, Buy anywhere also cheaper in sg. The problem is whether u wanna downgrade quality of life.

Sent from HUAWEI SHT-AL09 using GAGT
Coz most young johorean either migrate to Singapore, KL or Penang once they grad. There are fewer work opportunities in JB.
 

RMCWMR

Banned
Joined
Jan 13, 2019
Messages
8,581
Reaction score
1
Dunno why I dont like JB.. ppl there is like waiting to cut sporean throats.. I being harrass a few times while driving my car bearing SG plate. I own a few properties in JB and earn very little and running at lost. Should just rent if get JB property.:(

That's because we look like yaya papaya there, don't speak the language and don't observe our surrounding. I have seen some sinkies continue to put tissue paper on tables in Malaysia to chop place. Only to see their tissue paper either get thrown away or used by other patrons. Then they come yaya papaya and say this table is chopped by them and then get told off. No such things in Malaysia la.
 

Strongandhappy

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2018
Messages
39
Reaction score
1
What is the definition of retirement for you guys? To me, I can spend more with my retirement funds, example, SGD500 spend in Jb vs SG vs KL vs Phuket. Which one gives u the most value.

Sent from HUAWEI SHT-AL09 using GAGT

phuket got Tsunami risk leh..At old age..dont think have "energy" to run or swim if Tsunami strike..
=:p
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top