[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

jeetung

Reaction score
Maybe time for Mac 201 lesson:

Question: How to share an iPhoto library with more than one user?

Condition / Situation: When you have an iPhoto library and would like to share with your household/family members such as your spouse so that everyone in the family can work on it. PLUS you do not need to keep 2 individual iPhoto library files which would have the same photos and take up HDD space.

Prerequisites: Admin Permissions, Terminal usage

Ans: Follow the instructions on the link http://www.dr-chuck.com/csev-blog/000477.html

cheers ! Hope this helps :)

Adilogy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

anyone knows how to make the songs in the external hd be recognise by itunes?
That means instead of using the hd in our mac, we set the external hd as default one
for itunes. Any way to achieve that?

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

anyone knows how to make the songs in the external hd be recognise by itunes?
That means instead of using the hd in our mac, we set the external hd as default one
for itunes. Any way to achieve that?

First, change the "Music folder location:" to your a folder in your External HD: iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced

Then make sure you tick the two options directly underneath it, viz., "Keep iTunes …" and "Copy files to…".

After OKing, go to the Advanced menu and select "Consolidate Library…".

You can delete the old library folders after that.

unfinished07

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone can teach me how to change the icons of .mp3, .avi, media files, .zip?
candybar got no options to change them.....

Adilogy

Reaction score
First, change the "Music folder location:" to your a folder in your External HD: iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced

Then make sure you tick the two options directly underneath it, viz., "Keep iTunes …" and "Copy files to…".

After OKing, go to the Advanced menu and select "Consolidate Library…".

You can delete the old library folders after that.

Thank you very much for your help once again. :D

ken_yeokh

Reaction score
I've a question....

I know that windows programs can run in windows using either boot camp/ paralles.

However, i came to realise that some of the configurations are still not up to standard when running programs

in windows. (I'm using parallels to install the Windows XP SP2 OS)

Eg. Games cannot be played with full resolution in windows.

Anyone have the slightest idea how do i fix the problem? Thx a lot.

jaskoo80

Reaction score
I've a question....

I know that windows programs can run in windows using either boot camp/ paralles.

However, i came to realise that some of the configurations are still not up to standard when running programs

in windows. (I'm using parallels to install the Windows XP SP2 OS)

Eg. Games cannot be played with full resolution in windows.

Anyone have the slightest idea how do i fix the problem? Thx a lot.
What game are you trying to play?
When using parallels, most of the hardware is virtualised (most importantly is your graphics card) hence your game may not run properly. I suggest you use bootcamp for playing games instead.

Note that under bootcamp and for many of the later games, you may need to update your windows graphics drivers.
If you update your drivers using the official releases from nvidia, it will fail as the laptop cards are usually "blocked".
The workaround is to download the drivers with modified INF files from www.laptopvideo2go.com (while laptopvideo2go provides a great service, this is still the unofficial route so you install these drivers at your own risk)

PS: I know this sounds mightily obvious but I'm anticipating this question:
Q: Does the updated graphics card drivers from lv2go work in OS X as well?
A: No. These drivers are windows drivers only. Your OS X drivers are taken care of by Apple's own updates.

Last edited:

ashcrow

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guys..i have 3 short questions..

1) is macbook able to support ddr2 800 ram?
2) why is there 2 installation disc for imac since we only uses 1..and whats the 2nd 1 for?
3) is i have a tiger macbook...able to upgrade using another imac leopard cd? i heard the installation cd is device-specified.

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
guys..i have 3 short questions..

1) is macbook able to support ddr2 800 ram?
2) why is there 2 installation disc for imac since we only uses 1..and whats the 2nd 1 for?
3) is i have a tiger macbook...able to upgrade using another imac leopard cd? i heard the installation cd is device-specified.

1) No. The Santa Rosa chipset limits the memory bus to 667Mhz - it's a hardware limitation in place by Intel.
2) The 2nd disc is part of the installation process - it contains the extra applications.
3) No. Discs are locked to device classes. You can't even use an older/newer-generation MacBook's restore disc on your MacBook.

/Dan

ashcrow

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) No. The Santa Rosa chipset limits the memory bus to 667Mhz - it's a hardware limitation in place by Intel.
2) The 2nd disc is part of the installation process - it contains the extra applications.
3) No. Discs are locked to device classes. You can't even use an older/newer-generation MacBook's restore disc on your MacBook.

/Dan

thanks dan..:D

ken_yeokh

Reaction score
What game are you trying to play?
When using parallels, most of the hardware is virtualised (most importantly is your graphics card) hence your game may not run properly. I suggest you use bootcamp for playing games instead.

Note that under bootcamp and for many of the later games, you may need to update your windows graphics drivers.
If you update your drivers using the official releases from nvidia, it will fail as the laptop cards are usually "blocked".
The workaround is to download the drivers with modified INF files from www.laptopvideo2go.com (while laptopvideo2go provides a great service, this is still the unofficial route so you install these drivers at your own risk)

PS: I know this sounds mightily obvious but I'm anticipating this question:
Q: Does the updated graphics card drivers from lv2go work in OS X as well?
A: No. These drivers are windows drivers only. Your OS X drivers are taken care of by Apple's own updates.

Games such as FF8 and oso Devil May Cry 4 cant be run in windows using parallels properly. Esp. DMC 4 it said sumthing about unsupported pixel shader etc. Thx for the information though...i'l try to use bootcmp to try out instead thx.

ashcrow

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

/Dan

another noob qns.

then if i place 2xddr2 800 into a duo core macbook that can support 4gb. will it take in the chip as 667mhz? as i got spare 800mhz. or the chipset cannot support? i afraid of damaging the chipset.

ashcrow

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
another noob qns.

then if i place 2xddr2 800 into a duo core macbook that can support 4gb. will it take in the chip as 667mhz? as i got spare 800mhz. or the chipset cannot support? i afraid of damaging the chipset.

bump my own question. :D

d0gsMiLez

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
whenever i go to webbies with flash my safari and ff will crash ..
it only happens after i installed the latest flash ..
how do i do a "rollback"? :o

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score

d0gsMiLez

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
oh yesh! thanks alot! it crashes all the time and pisses the hell out of me! :D

I hope that works for you.

Otherwise, go to Firefox 3's -> Tools -> Add-ons -> Plugins, and disable Shockwave Flash. If FF3 still crash after that, it's not Flash's fault leow.

Chika Ito

Reaction score
Sometimes if you install Flash Player or Adobe Flash in your system to work with Flash it can mess up the plugin settings.

Happened to me when i was on Tiger with Macromedia Flash installed in Applications for assignment (Adobe Flash browser plugin installed). Everytime go to websites with flash the browser will kaput and behave wonky.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.