I do not know why, but just felt compelled to take a look at the Woodlands BTO in May 2017.
I do not know what are the future plans that the government is having for Woodlands, all I know is they are tapering down the supply of flats for the next few years, this is at least what I heard. Speaking about the plot in Woodlands, I personally feel that this plot is a very special plot. This plot suits all, but not all suits this plot. Allow me to explain.
Lets have a worst assumption that there are potential in building residential properties inward from where the May BTO plot is, it is still a good plot of land.
Transportation
Okay, far from city. The same old sentence again. To be honest, when life priority changes, I don't think that the city would matter that much. As I mentioned, this is a special plot of land for people who really appreciate the "Woodland Community" lifestyle. It is about 700m from your doorstep to Marsalling MRT. How cool is that. 5-7 mins walk? 2 bus stops. Tops. Whichever way your flat is facing, you have access to the bus stops and roads.
Appreciation
I hate talking about this, because I always feel that a HDB is build from love, a place where a family grows old together. Some may say that I am stupid. To each its own, ok? Say a old couple whose kids moved out to live on their own, they could do a "airbnb" for students who wants to stay near schools such as RP. Earn small money to keep themselves afloat.
Lifestyle.
I sorta feel that that is quite an untouched estate with lots of green. It is on the road of growing into an estate like tampines. Tampines is a gone case concrete jungle. But this plot? not yet. still in their "1970s"
Look at the ameneties around. They are quite good with supermarkets and shops all over. Primary and secondary schools, very good to raise kids there, yet having the touch of the past where nostalgic stalls are still there.
Look further and you know what I want to say. JB. who in the world have Singapore's Mexico in their backyard? Woodlanders. Say a Friday evening, I bring my wife and kids across the causeway, have a good sumptuous seafood dinner, sing abit of K, shop abit, or do a weekend stay at their hotels. Come back to Singapore, refreshed for the week. I am sure others can do better than my suggestions. haha
Trade offs
I guess for those hiam factories and all, will not be suitable for this plot. To me, this plot have a special place in my heart. I quite like that place, don't know why. The view may not be good, but I am sure there wont be any smell because it is quite far away. Perhaps traffic may be bad in the morning. But I still feel that this plot is like a little paradise somehow.
just my .02cents worth