Recommendations for computer speakers

TanKianW

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the long detailed posts. I don't intend to spend money unnecessarily. Currently Z407 is still what I will most likely buy. But I got an opportunity to borrow a sub to try, so will do so without incurring expense.

Why take the trouble? It is basically due to the following reasons:
1. For the last few years I have gone on the SFF route: ITX board inside a very small enclosure. Did away with graphics card and rely on Raven Ridge APU. External laptop style adapter. I believe wwenze is an expert in this area, as he advised me on the PSU many years ago.
2. Switching to a display with speakers is also to do with that thinking: try to consolidate and reduce things on my desk.
3. Initially I was thinking of two extra speakers: 2.0. But better than 2.0 is 0.1 under the desk.

Also, upon studying my MSI B350i pro ac mobo. I found the following:
1. I can see that in the realtek settings there is a dedicated "subwoofer out" selection.
2. There is a setting allowing me to limit the frequency output of the existing speakers by preventing it from going too low - e.g: I can cut out frequency less than 80 to 200Hz.

Most likely the test sub won't work. But if it produces acceptable results then I feel I would have taken one more step to a simpler PC setup.

Simpler PC setup?

Logitech Z120 for you? :ROFLMAO:
Um3jw5H.jpg

techidiot

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Logitech Z120 I also used for work and as portable is decent seriously.
Good mids and bass, sound is better than speakers from monitor.

entertaint

Reaction score

Bought Logitech Z313 as I found it on offer for $39 at Harvey Norman, logitech official store go for $59. 2 year warranty but need RMA yourself. Not a big audio guy so it works fine for me.

*can't seem to attach url nor include it in text but it's just a pic of my setup so meh.

TanKianW

Master Member
Reaction score

Bought Logitech Z313 as I found it on offer for $39 at Harvey Norman, logitech official store go for $59. 2 year warranty but need RMA yourself. Not a big audio guy so it works fine for me.

*can't seem to attach url nor include it in text but it's just a pic of my setup so meh.

This one higher end than my kid's Z120! :LOL:

Sometimes I appreciate the "piak piak" sound, it is a reminder to my kid to turn down the volume!

Shahmatt

Reaction score
Tried Voicemeeter with a Wharfedale and Display speakers. Happy to report that this works pretty well.

techidiot

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried Voicemeeter with a Wharfedale and Display speakers. Happy to report that this works pretty well.

Either way subwoofer does not work that way and the sub will be wasted anyway.
Home theater subwoofer is more than just provide bass, wait till one day you have
a 5.1 setup than you know what it's purpose.

Most of the time I do not on the sub as my floorstanding as well as bookshelf speaker
are more than enough.
Subwoofer is to compliment speakers not to use as individual speakers like Voicemeter
etc. nonsense.

Voicemeter is a virtual audio mixer so know the difference and software like this if compare
with actual mixer. Hardware mixer will be better and sound better than voice meter.
Whether anyone want to listen to me is up to you, been in the AV sector for many years.

AG06-large.jpg

Basically what you are doing is mixing two sources to output to speaker which is similar to mixer
if wwenze did not explain clearly to you.

Proper way to do such 2.1 setup is
Connect PC to mixer than to subwoofer and from subwoofer to speaker.

750-LSR310S_detail2.jpg

Either TRS or XLR connection from mixer balanced input than to output to speaker with XLR connection.
Cost wise is around $1.5k - $2k and this is the proper way to do a 2.1 speaker like what is being shared
but using software mixer emulation.

Those software mixer are to emulate, if you use Yamaha AG06 with the subwoofer than
I have nothing to say.
if anyone don't agree with what I say, you can go to Swee Lee and ask for opinion but
prepare to be bill shock as such equipment are not cheap.

Wwenze is not the subject expert here, there are others.
If you or anyone think he is the only way why not take this discussion off from here just contact
the person.

Last edited:

techidiot

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Creative will be announcing their new Creative T60 2.0 speaker.
For those who don't like Logitech speakers, maybe you can consider this.
I don't have any photo or link but it was announced in their facebook.

If you ask me whether will I review this, probably but at price of $120.
Edifier R1280DB will be the better choice than that.
Do take note bass is not everything so having a subwoofer is the not correct approach.

Correct approach for a fuller sound is invest in bookshelf speaker first than subwoofer.

a1.jpg

Some bookshelf speaker have sub like Audioengine A1 which I don't mention mainly due to price
of $3XX+.

It's small size but the price is really too high to recommend and if you add a subwoofer easily
can hit $1k.

If you want a small speaker setup don't take up much space than a proper bookshelf speaker
like Edifier R1280DB or R1010BT so either would be better and cheaper than AudioEngine.
Audioengine you can test them at Adelphi AVone including the sub but be prepared to be bill shock
as it won't be cheap.

The T60 I will check if I have opportunity to test or not or probably buy it after testing just sell off.

Last edited:

Shahmatt

Reaction score
@techidiot Looking forward to your review of the T60. Yes I guess the sub is wasted. But really the sound is quite acceptable to my ear, and it makes the whole experience so much better.

Regarding these display speakers I feel it has amazing clarity and performance for something that is not the main product. Except for the bass frequencies I can hear nearly every sound. Compared to the T3 some human voices are a little weaker (will try to correct with equalizer). Otherwise it is an excellent product and combining with bass really helps it deliver.

techidiot

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@techidiot Looking forward to your review of the T60. Yes I guess the sub is wasted. But really the sound is quite acceptable to my ear, and it makes the whole experience so much better.

Regarding these display speakers I feel it has amazing clarity and performance for something that is not the main product. Except for the bass frequencies I can hear nearly every sound. Compared to the T3 some human voices are a little weaker (will try to correct with equalizer). Otherwise it is an excellent product and combining with bass really helps it deliver.
Take note of the size of speaker, speaker inside monitor are not only small but they are
typically low watt.
However low watt speaker like Logitech Z120 2.0 will sound better than speaker from monitor with decent bass.

20116a7a-1c55-4c9e-ba01-ea11170aeb75.jpg

Is cheap around $19 you can play around instead of EQ the speaker from monitor.

Z120 I have one for office and portable use, you be surprise how this cheap little speaker can sound.
The T60 I don't think I can test so soon, if you are interested you can head to
Challenger stores to test.

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I had to search back to the first page to understand the context of the quoted text. :s13:

Yea, back then I didn't recommend R1280DB because I didn't have enough confidence. But now people have tested R1280T and it looks good. Then I tested R1280DBs and it looks good too. I can't find any review of R1280DB so we'll have to interpolate the data. :s13:

So if die die max budget $120 and can use bookshelves, R1280DB is good. I think the new Swan D1100 at $150 might be a good fight for the money tho, who wants to be the guinea pig?

Anyways, R1280DB's selling point (assuming it performs the same as R1280DBs) is that it has a lot of bass at this price point and size for a 2.0, and at least has a somewhat-functioning tweeter (which is rare at this price range). So with the limited budget it prioritized getting the overall sound signature correct first.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.