SIMBA Fibre Broadband

kennethoka

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
165
wow 😲😳 so messy still worth to sign up how is the speed for steaming 4k movies or YouTube?
I cannot tell you whether is it worth to sign up or not because I'm not with Simba, what i said previously is generally same for other ISP.

But for streaming 4K or Youtube, the most important thing to look at is latency not so much on bandwidth. You can have big pipe (high bandwidth) but the latency is high, you also cannot stream video smoothly.

I had did a test for myself, I streamed 1 x 4K HDR in Netflix and 1x 4K HDR 60FPS in Youtube at the same time, the highest bandwidth I hit at a point of time is only 112Mbps but for the rest of the time is hovering 40 - 60 Mbps. You will be fine for 5 to 6 streaming of 4K HDR videos even you are with 500Mbps plan with some other ISP.

like I said latency is the most important one. Imagine you have 2 water pipes. 1 can supply you 1 litre of water every 1 second and other one can supply 20 litre every 30 seconds. So after 1 minutes I get more water from pipe number 1 than pipe number 2 eventhough pipe number 2 is bigger. and If i can drink 50 litre of water in 1 minutes, i will have enough water but if pipe number 2, I will have 10 seconds without water.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,505
Reaction score
12,374
Do you guys think Simba will include digital voice in future?

Not any time soon since the ONT given does not support digital voice.

But they may support digital voice in the future by upgrading to a better ONT with digital voice support. How far in the future? No idea.

I guess they will support static IPv4 add-on first before looking at digital voice.
 

OnePunch!!

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2019
Messages
1,416
Reaction score
175
I cannot tell you whether is it worth to sign up or not because I'm not with Simba, what i said previously is generally same for other ISP.
But for streaming 4K or Youtube, the most important thing to look at is latency not so much on bandwidth. You can have big pipe (high bandwidth) but the latency is high, you also cannot stream video smoothly.
I had did a test for myself, I streamed 1 x 4K HDR in Netflix and 1x 4K HDR 60FPS in Youtube at the same time, the highest bandwidth I hit at a point of time is only 112Mbps but for the rest of the time is hovering 40 - 60 Mbps. You will be fine for 5 to 6 streaming of 4K HDR videos even you are with 500Mbps plan with some other ISP.
like I said latency is the most important one. Imagine you have 2 water pipes. 1 can supply you 1 litre of water every 1 second and other one can supply 20 litre every 30 seconds. So after 1 minutes I get more water from pipe number 1 than pipe number 2 eventhough pipe number 2 is bigger. and If i can drink 50 litre of water in 1 minutes, i will have enough water but if pipe number 2, I will have 10 seconds without water.

stable to steam 4k movies and YouTube?
 

lobukong

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2011
Messages
365
Reaction score
200
I cannot tell you whether is it worth to sign up or not because I'm not with Simba, what i said previously is generally same for other ISP.

But for streaming 4K or Youtube, the most important thing to look at is latency not so much on bandwidth. You can have big pipe (high bandwidth) but the latency is high, you also cannot stream video smoothly.

I had did a test for myself, I streamed 1 x 4K HDR in Netflix and 1x 4K HDR 60FPS in Youtube at the same time, the highest bandwidth I hit at a point of time is only 112Mbps but for the rest of the time is hovering 40 - 60 Mbps. You will be fine for 5 to 6 streaming of 4K HDR videos even you are with 500Mbps plan with some other ISP.

like I said latency is the most important one. Imagine you have 2 water pipes. 1 can supply you 1 litre of water every 1 second and other one can supply 20 litre every 30 seconds. So after 1 minutes I get more water from pipe number 1 than pipe number 2 eventhough pipe number 2 is bigger. and If i can drink 50 litre of water in 1 minutes, i will have enough water but if pipe number 2, I will have 10 seconds without water.
but your pipe 1 is always better than pipe 2 ? pipe1 is lower latency yet 60l/m > pipe2 50l/m (or 40l/m since 20l/30s)?

Then if you want to "benchmark" based on Netflix/youtube/facebook, no ISP will fail as these websites will use CDN. Take a look at this: https://ispspeedindex.netflix.net/country/singapore, every ISP is equal for netflix.

Then, I didn't see any proof of Simba BB is worse in latency? Someone actually tested ping to various websites using Simba or is it just assumed cheaper = worse in latency?
 

kennethoka

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
165
but your pipe 1 is always better than pipe 2 ? pipe1 is lower latency yet 60l/m > pipe2 50l/m (or 40l/m since 20l/30s)?

Then if you want to "benchmark" based on Netflix/youtube/facebook, no ISP will fail as these websites will use CDN. Take a look at this: https://ispspeedindex.netflix.net/country/singapore, every ISP is equal for netflix.

Then, I didn't see any proof of Simba BB is worse in latency? Someone actually tested ping to various websites using Simba or is it just assumed cheaper = worse in latency?
why you sound so defensive on SImba. You work for Simba is it. Since when I said Simba latency is no good. because someone is asking whether the Simba speed is good enough for streaming. I only want to tell him/her that don't take speed so seriously, what is important is latency and I don't subscribe to Simba so i cannot tell him/her whether Simba is good for latency or not.

And also CDN this kind of thing is too technical for layman. If you tell them, they also might not know. so no need to make the thread TLDR by explain what is CDN.
 

buttertrade69

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2020
Messages
575
Reaction score
250
stable to steam 4k movies and YouTube?
I think should be fine because most of the video streaming services are doing data buffering. So the buffering time should be more than enough

but that is also depend on your equipment use also. If you use lousy equipment and cannot stream properly then you blame me how. hahaha.. need to put some exclamation first.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,505
Reaction score
12,374
Then, I didn't see any proof of Simba BB is worse in latency? Someone actually tested ping to various websites using Simba or is it just assumed cheaper = worse in latency?

Real life test results: SIMBA is not bad for Europe/Africa but not good for China.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/fastest-isp.6996674/page-3#post-151182381

6ytH5mE.png
 
Last edited:

lobukong

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2011
Messages
365
Reaction score
200
why you sound so defensive on SImba. You work for Simba is it. Since when I said Simba latency is no good. because someone is asking whether the Simba speed is good enough for streaming. I only want to tell him/her that don't take speed so seriously, what is important is latency and I don't subscribe to Simba so i cannot tell him/her whether Simba is good for latency or not.

And also CDN this kind of thing is too technical for layman. If you tell them, they also might not know. so no need to make the thread TLDR by explain what is CDN.
1. As someone mentioned above, latency is not critical for video streaming.
2. There's no proof that simba perform worse in latency than other ISP for *SG* servers.
3. Your analogy doesn't make any sense in math.
4. You throw mud when I asked simple questions?
 

kennethoka

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
165
Let me show how latency affects video stream.

High latency:
8f92df19-0f5a-4a3e-91e2-555f0d66ff97.jpg


Low latency:
cf09721c-4acd-4456-b51c-409125b66c8e.jpg


and why you keep defending Simba lantecy while no one says SImba has bad latency.
 

lobukong

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2011
Messages
365
Reaction score
200
and why you keep defending Simba lantecy while no one says SImba has bad latency.
so what's the point of your original post?
I reply because I assumed you tried to at least make some sense.
Of course I don't need to reply if you don't want to make sense?
 

longshine

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
not bad..my NLT tech came and check the signal quality and next day ONT insallation. tech brought few set of new routers want to sell me ...but i bought from taobao already at a cheaper more value for money price. So far got 1.6~2.1gbpss for lan desktop. for wirelesss 1.2gbps for android phone and 800+ for iphone. Take note yr hardware all need to support.. like router etc
hi, can I know how long does it take from the date you apply till the date of installation ?
 

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2002
Messages
60,204
Reaction score
3,609
hi, can I know how long does it take from the date you apply till the date of installation ?
The installation slot is choosen by u.. Must see the availability.. U need to know that need 2 days.. 1 day for NLT, next day is auto ONT.. So take note..
 

xsoldix

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
8,909
Reaction score
1,662
Simba ONT must be installed by their appointed technician?
can we self collect and install?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top