Starhub Giga

meekiatah

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
5,692
Reaction score
203
what I did was I got my Giga sim card (paid for it) ahead of time but I only activated it on the day my contract with my current telco ends. (so the next day, no more contract) then I selected using the Giga app to port in the following day. it did as advertised, then goodbye old telco...

so the most I "lost" by having two phone subscriptions active was just a day or so. not bad.

Exactly what I described above. Instead of just whining about it, why not just see what are the policies and play around it.
 

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2000
Messages
34,529
Reaction score
2,863
what I did was I got my Giga sim card (paid for it) ahead of time but I only activated it on the day my contract with my current telco ends. (so the next day, no more contract) then I selected using the Giga app to port in the following day. it did as advertised, then goodbye old telco...

so the most I "lost" by having two phone subscriptions active was just a day or so. not bad.

Yup, at least 1 day double charge in this case and having SIM card early and only activating it is the best way.


Funny that this is your personal problem but you make it seems like the telco has to base their policy around you.

How about you just sign up a few days before your contract end, get hold of the card, the activate + apply for Port in once your contract expires?

Problem is when I asked way ahead about 2 months before my contract ends, I've been told to only port after my contract ends. I asked many times and that was the same answer.

So I did as instructed and ended up paying 2 days double charge for 4 numbers (that money pays for 1 month of Giga subscription). E.g. contract end 1st, apply on 2nd, only ported on 3rd; so I got to pay for 2nd and 3rd.

So my post is not about whining, it's amazing why telcos can't just tell me to get the card early and activate it on the day I want after talking to them at least 5 times over 2 months and now it becomes my fault? :s22:
 

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2018
Messages
11,357
Reaction score
3,713
So my post is not about whining, it's amazing why telcos can't just tell me to get the card early and activate it on the day I want after talking to them at least 5 times over 2 months and now it becomes my fault? :s22:

That's what this forum is for. To share tips that telcos won't tell you outright.
 

cruizer_ph

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2007
Messages
2,170
Reaction score
27
yep. so for Giga, you can request the SIM (you can't get it until you pay for it) then activate it later. no need to activate it on the same day it arrives. you can't schedule the port in without activating the SIM and installing the Giga app anyway since you request this from within the app.

if you activate today, you can use the port in operation today and set it to port by tomorrow. simple as that.
 

pustefix

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2012
Messages
537
Reaction score
10
I've chat with live agent and it is possible to port in much later, I mentioned in Dec. So for those needing more data but contract is not up yet, you can apply for a new number now and port in when your contract ends. It is better than paying $10/GB for every time you exceed your allocation.
 

Hwsemb

Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2018
Messages
245
Reaction score
24
Anyone has experience using the giga SIM in senior citizen phone (old school type with buttons).

Was thinking although my parents' senior citizen HPs do not have WIFI/APN, I can still separately use the computer or another smartphone to activate/manage giga over internet browser?
 

stupidog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
23,222
Reaction score
10,191
Anyone has experience using the giga SIM in senior citizen phone (old school type with buttons).

Was thinking although my parents' senior citizen HPs do not have WIFI/APN, I can still separately use the computer or another smartphone to activate/manage giga over internet browser?
Yes, u can use another android phone to activate the line in your folks non-smartphone.

PLYgNbOl.jpg

owg3orvl.jpg

FlNqSjol.png
 
Last edited:

Hwsemb

Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2018
Messages
245
Reaction score
24
Appreciate your screenshots stupidog! Seems like giga has very strong signal in your parent's Nokia phone. Hopefully it can match Singtel's signal consistency, or at least don't go totally zero signal nor disconnect in the middle of a voicecall.
 

BeefCutlet

Banned
Joined
Dec 20, 2019
Messages
4,100
Reaction score
1
Is it true that GIGA 4G is the watered down version of Starhubs 4G?

like the speed is half of starhub
 

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
8,735
Reaction score
2,326
Anyone has experience using the giga SIM in senior citizen phone (old school type with buttons).

Was thinking although my parents' senior citizen HPs do not have WIFI/APN, I can still separately use the computer or another smartphone to activate/manage giga over internet browser?
I believe you can. I remember logging onto the giga app on my phone and accidentally activating the sim card before even opening the sim package.
 

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
8,735
Reaction score
2,326
Is it true that GIGA 4G is the watered down version of Starhubs 4G?

like the speed is half of starhub
I have not noticed any speed difference switching from Singtel to Giga so I assume that is not true. But then again I'm not running benchmark numbers but just regular usage..
 

wuming79

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2003
Messages
538
Reaction score
3
Funny that this is your personal problem but you make it seems like the telco has to base their policy around you.

How about you just sign up a few days before your contract end, get hold of the card, the activate + apply for Port in once your contract expires?

Can hold off activation? My card was like auto activated after 1 day. I was planing to hold till end of month to activate...
 

meekiatah

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
5,692
Reaction score
203
Can hold off activation? My card was like auto activated after 1 day. I was planing to hold till end of month to activate...

Sorry, I meant to type

Sign up and receive the sim card;
Activate;

Then when contract expires, apply to port in.


Someone did manage to only activate the sim card few days after receiving it.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top