StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

cct75

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,436
Reaction score
0
Is Starhub Fiber back stable? I am still thinking to move back to HomeHub and will then abandon VQ if it works up well.
 

1890pub

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
237
Reaction score
0
Upgraded to SH fiber 1 Gbps.

I Upgraded to SH fiber 1 Gbps. ONT changed and coming with Dlink 868L. But my HP PC network card only support up to 300 Mbps. Speedtest shown 94 Mbps.

May I know how to get better internet speed beside change new PC?
 

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
55,968
Reaction score
2,301
I Upgraded to SH fiber 1 Gbps. ONT changed and coming with Dlink 868L. But my HP PC network card only support up to 300 Mbps. Speedtest shown 94 Mbps.

May I know how to get better internet speed beside change new PC?
What chip does your network card use? Don't need to replace whole pc just get Intel NIC and good quality cable.

Sent from the darknet using GAGT
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
I Upgraded to SH fiber 1 Gbps. ONT changed and coming with Dlink 868L. But my HP PC network card only support up to 300 Mbps. Speedtest shown 94 Mbps.

May I know how to get better internet speed beside change new PC?

1. Use Wired (your PC have to support GbE)
OR
2. Seems like you are on wireless, go change to Intel 7265. You can get approx 500Mbps with good connection + router. I don't know if 868L is capable of that.
 

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
55,968
Reaction score
2,301
Thanks.
Intel NIC ? What is that? Network card? Any PC can install? how much its cost?
NIC is Network Interface Card.
Can install as long as you have a free slot.
Saw these prices at cybermind (other shops will have similar ones):

Intel PRO/1000 GT PWLA8391GT PCI
$69

Intel Gigabit CT 9301CT LP
PCI-Ex1
$59
 

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2009
Messages
86,036
Reaction score
20
just upgraded to 1ghz. forgot about the free starhub tv lite. is it a separate appointment? also what are the 14 channels that are included?

It's a seperate appointment

But the box that comes with it is non-HD

Anybody here tries to call in Starhub to request for a HD box instead and not paying any extra??
 

what88

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2007
Messages
6,562
Reaction score
21
It's a seperate appointment

But the box that comes with it is non-HD

Anybody here tries to call in Starhub to request for a HD box instead and not paying any extra??

Do not think they will change it for free as I did reject a Non-HD and requested HD set-top box, until now no one call me on this; end up I gave up the free tv lite. ;)
 

squarepegs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2004
Messages
10,243
Reaction score
257
i have signed up for the dual broadband (fibre + cable)and the TP installation has completed very fast within 40 mins.

but the guy said no signal. starhub people will come on fri. he said the netlink company will check and it will have signal before fri.

i see this box installed only.
6FrnnCc.jpg


do i get the ONT box on fri when starhub people come?:s11:
 

dricas_007

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2001
Messages
1,172
Reaction score
14
Just upgrade my 200mbs to 1Gbps today...the delivery guy came and pass me the D-Link 850L...then I ask him what about my existing router...he say can keep because too slow than the one he give me...I check my current model is D-Link 865L I think the same class lei...seem like waste time
 

melvinchen

Master Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2000
Messages
4,144
Reaction score
35
Just upgrade my 200mbs to 1Gbps today...the delivery guy came and pass me the D-Link 850L...then I ask him what about my existing router...he say can keep because too slow than the one he give me...I check my current model is D-Link 865L I think the same class lei...seem like waste time

Forget about the D-Link 868L I've sold mine already however if you're a light user you can use it otherwise please get a better router.
 

luckyguitar

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
0
Ok starfug fiber down again today.

Looks like several down time incidents reported on their community forum during last couple of days.

Their tech support said will check and call back in 24hrs, but seriously i doubt i will get a callback until 2 or 3 days later.
 

luckyguitar

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
0
Is Starhub Fiber back stable? I am still thinking to move back to HomeHub and will then abandon VQ if it works up well.

I will say check with your neighbours whose on Starhub. See what their experiences are. If you are thinking of switching because Starhub is cheaper, i will say don't take the risk. If you have 2 lines then its fine, when Starhub is down at least you still have a backup.

Personally, i get some form of connection issue every 2 months or so. I was persistent and got a rebate from them after 4-5 months of chasing but i guess most users aren't that lucky. Take note that their tech support is crappy as hell. I called in just last week about some router issues and when i asked about firmware updates, the tech support guy asked me "what's a firmware"..... i was literally stunned. At least from what i read here, VQ has much better support.
 

tungsten2

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
4,147
Reaction score
1
I am a current Starhub Maxfinity 200mbps subscriber and can safely say that Starhub is no longer playing the number game.

1. Speed
You can copy and paste the speedtest which I am getting consistently at the bottom of this post.

You can also checkout this link in VRforum (post #8) about bufferbloat and I am getting Grade A.
http://forums.vr-zone.com/networkin...-new-browser-based-tool-html5-dslreports.html

2. Customer Service
Starhub have improve on their customer service.
If the CSO promise to call you back, they really call you back
The hotline waiting time have improve from 30 mins to 20 mins, sometime if you are lucky , your waiting time could be below 5 mins.


3. Fibre Service breakdown
So far only 2 major breakdown. One in May this year and one in somewhere october last year.
1 minor breakdown recently is due to Opennet did not join my fiber wire which broke into 2. Hahah.....


Overall I would say experience is quite OK.
 
Last edited:

luckyguitar

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
0
2. Customer Service
Starhub have improve on their customer service.
If the CSO promise to call you back, they really call you back
The hotline waiting time have improve from 30 mins to 20 mins, sometime if you are lucky , your waiting time could be below 5 mins.

3. Fibre Service breakdown
So far only 2 major breakdown. One in May this year and one in somewhere october last year.
1 minor breakdown recently is due to Opennet did not join my fiber wire which broke into 2. Hahah.....


When it works, there is no issue with speed. In my case it is either intermittent disconnection and for today, its completely down. Just check their community forum for downtime complaints, there are a good number of cases since the weekend.

http://community.starhub.com/t5/MaxInfinity-Fibre-BroadBand/bd-p/MaxInfinity

I agree that the waiting time for their phone support is good, normally you get to speak to someone within 5 mins, but that is about the only thing positive. Try dealing with their tech support for anything major, 100% of the time they will tell you that the network is fine (even on one occasion when users were complaining all over facebook about a year ago). The conversation normally ends with the staff telling you that he/she will refer the issue to the backend and callback within 24hrs. The fact is they do call back, but not until next day or 2 days later.

That's why i said for anyone planning to sign up with them, check with neighbours if they have any kind of connection issues. Seems like some users have got decent service and quite a number face similar intermittent connection issue like me. In my case, they knowledge the issue and agree to give rebate me on the subscription, after 4-5 months of chasing them to follow up.
 

luckyguitar

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
0
Called them about my issue yesterday, was told somebody will follow up and callback within 24 hours.

So far heard nothing from them. As i have said before, their tech support is almost non-existent.
 

what88

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2007
Messages
6,562
Reaction score
21
Called them about my issue yesterday, was told somebody will follow up and callback within 24 hours.

So far heard nothing from them. As i have said before, their tech support is almost non-existent.

Based on my experience, someone will call you back within 3 working days, if not then you will need to call their hotline again.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top