StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
21,847
Reaction score
597
wow...

go play this game: Human Benchmark - Reaction Time Test

screenshot if you managed to get 16ms or below (no cheating) :)


objective is to highlight... 10ms - 16ms you can't even feel it. If you could you are totally of a different level which sadly, i can't relate to it. :(

my apologies then.

No la, I mean significantly slower is based on day-to-day use. Not that I can 'feel' the difference between 5ms. Like my youtube buffering gets stopped more. I'm just basing on my own practical usage.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
No la, I mean significantly slower is based on day-to-day use. Not that I can 'feel' the difference between 5ms. Like my youtube buffering gets stopped more. I'm just basing on my own practical usage.

i see.

i always switch to 1080p no stopped buffering though.

and besides, you can always download the youtube clip to watch, much faster but cumbersome that is if the buffering is really annoying you.
 

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
21,847
Reaction score
597
i see.

i always switch to 1080p no stopped buffering though.

and besides, you can always download the youtube clip to watch, much faster but cumbersome that is if the buffering is really annoying you.

I actually use youtube to listen to my songs, more for the audio than the video. Alot of dance tracks aren't really recorded onto proper tracks. Maybe should go figure out some settings of the AC66 that might be indirectly leading to this.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
I actually use youtube to listen to my songs, more for the audio than the video. Alot of dance tracks aren't really recorded onto proper tracks. Maybe should go figure out some settings of the AC66 that might be indirectly leading to this.

i am only on N56U :(
 

Sadist4life

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
854
Reaction score
50
I actually use youtube to listen to my songs, more for the audio than the video. Alot of dance tracks aren't really recorded onto proper tracks. Maybe should go figure out some settings of the AC66 that might be indirectly leading to this.

i am only on N56U :(

and I am on the N66U :)

16ms = high? :s22::s22:

Reminds me of Path of Exile. An almost constant 15ms to the Singapore gateway.
 

Clock

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,616
Reaction score
272
guys...

got a super problem here.

D-link or Asus router plug to NC and both routers cannot connect to the internet.

Bypass both routers and plug directly to NC has internet access but very very slow.

Called starhub and they say area no problem.

Living in Sembawang, anyone got the same issue ???
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
guys...

got a super problem here.

D-link or Asus router plug to NC and both routers cannot connect to the internet.

Bypass both routers and plug directly to NC has internet access but very very slow.

Called starhub and they say area no problem.

Living in Sembawang, anyone got the same issue ???

Plug directly no issue?

You are on Direct ONT right? If not you couldn't hook yourself directly.

ChEck your router(ASUS) CONFIGURATION
 

wcmonk

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2004
Messages
1,742
Reaction score
10
For me the intermittent symptoms disappeared after a while I made that post. Left continuous pings to the SH gateway and my own router running and the problem never resurfaced, so I can't figure out which part of the network is causing it.

Hi i do like to check what is hte SH gateway eh ?? i think i'm also having slow in my network. and i can't load video from youtube now and then, some video can load some cna't haiz

For those who have not enabled IPv6 please do so alr. I suspect is partly cause of this as well.

hi i do like to check how do u enable IPv6 and does it really help??


Tracing route to www.singnet.com.sg [165.21.5.6]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 182.55.88.3
3 7 ms 9 ms 7 ms 182.55.0.34
4 9 ms 7 ms 11 ms 182.55.0.41
5 9 ms 7 ms 7 ms anatsl10.starhub.net.sg [203.118.7.16]
6 10 ms 8 ms 7 ms 203.117.4.54
7 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms GE-5-1.marina.singnet.com.sg [165.21.12.110]
8 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms 165.21.121.100
9 11 ms 9 ms 9 ms www.singnet.com.sg [165.21.5.6]

Trace complete.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Go to your router and check the WAN IP and gateway assigned to you. I pinged it to check my router's WAN connection to the ISP.



I've got a question, hope you don't mind :)

Since HTTP uses TCP, which requires sending acknowledgements, will round-trip times shown by ping results be reflective of browsing speed?

if you can ask such question i bet you already know the answer
 

AceyourMaths

Banned
Joined
Oct 27, 2008
Messages
8,320
Reaction score
0
guys...

got a super problem here.

D-link or Asus router plug to NC and both routers cannot connect to the internet.

Bypass both routers and plug directly to NC has internet access but very very slow.

Called starhub and they say area no problem.

Living in Sembawang, anyone got the same issue ???
Same problem as you. Suddenly cant connect even tho I pay my bills. I live in cck. Now on mobile network...

Just call 1633 and ask them to reset your modem, then it should work again.
 
Last edited:

OnePunchMan

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2013
Messages
937
Reaction score
2
technically, you will never get zero unless your connection screw up with AV or FW enabled

speedtest is never accurate to determine your ms anyway

if you think you should be getting zero

then do a tracert www.singnet.com.sg

tell me when you add them all up if you are still able to achieve 0ms

chill la bro, now all super human liao even 1 ms they can also detect.

some devices show 0ms when the ping is below 4ms but it's not speedtest.
 

OnePunchMan

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2013
Messages
937
Reaction score
2
It's off-topic, but I just wanted to clarify because I'm not really educated in this field. I used to think that a higher ping causes slowdown, but you said that there'll be no noticeable difference between 16ms and 5ms.

1000ms = 1s

does this answer your question? IMHO, it's hard to
detect anything below 80ms
 

OnePunchMan

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2013
Messages
937
Reaction score
2
There's really no need for that. I'm more than capable in Mathematics, thank you very much.

A higher ping means taking more time to send a packet, and with acknowledgements it means that, without taking into account computing speed and with a 16ms ping, it will take a sender at least 16ms to receive a reply? Won't this snowball into a larger delay, and, consequently, result in a slower network speed?

So if ping increases from 5ms to 16ms, won't that reflect a >300% decrease in network speed?

That's the question I'm asking but I don't understand why I'm only getting insults as replies so far.

your end to end system delay does not scale with your transmission delay.. they are stand alone from each other.

A 2ms. -> trasmission 4ms -> B 2ms = 6ms
A 2ms -> transmission 16ms -> B 2ms = 20ms

the reason is u ain't even willing to think..

anyway the above is OT.

btw just notice as someone else posted that now we have symmetry upload on StarHub?
 

OnePunchMan

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2013
Messages
937
Reaction score
2
You seem confident on asserting my stupidity.

What is the relevance of the difference between the transmission delay and the device's own delay here? We're on the topic of the difference between pings of 5ms and 16ms with similar hardware.

Look at it this way - in one second, with a delay of 16ms, you can only send 62.5 packets compared to 200 packets with 5ms. That's assuming the host continues sending only after receiving an acknowledgement.

I fail to understand how your equation "1000ms = 1s" answers anything. It doesn't even corroborate with your reply later.

This could have been a peaceful, educating discussion. Instead you have disappointingly resorted to insults.

since u are so educated already why ask?
*last response from me on this matter.*
 

wcmonk

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2004
Messages
1,742
Reaction score
10
a quick check is any one like me still having problem loading youtube random video?
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Go to your router and check the WAN IP and gateway assigned to you. I pinged it to check my router's WAN connection to the ISP.



I've got a question, hope you don't mind :)

Since HTTP uses TCP, which requires sending acknowledgements, will round-trip times shown by ping results be reflective of browsing speed?

It's off-topic, but I just wanted to clarify because I'm not really educated in this field. I used to think that a higher ping causes slowdown, but you said that there'll be no noticeable difference between 16ms and 5ms.

There's really no need for that. I'm more than capable in Mathematics, thank you very much.

A higher ping means taking more time to send a packet, and with acknowledgements it means that, without taking into account computing speed and with a 16ms ping, it will take a sender at least 16ms to receive a reply? Won't this snowball into a larger delay, and, consequently, result in a slower network speed?

So if ping increases from 5ms to 16ms, won't that reflect a >300% decrease in network speed?

That's the question I'm asking but I don't understand why I'm only getting insults as replies so far.

You seem confident on asserting my stupidity.

What is the relevance of the difference between the transmission delay and the device's own delay here? We're on the topic of the difference between pings of 5ms and 16ms with similar hardware.

Look at it this way - in one second, with a delay of 16ms, you can only send 62.5 packets compared to 200 packets with 5ms. That's assuming the host continues sending only after receiving an acknowledgement.

I fail to understand how your equation "1000ms = 1s" answers anything. It doesn't even corroborate with your reply later.

This could have been a peaceful, educating discussion. Instead you have disappointingly resorted to insults.

As I said, I do not have formal education on networking. I don't even have CCNA. All I posted were really just hazarded guesses which I'm really not confident of. I only wanted to seek clarification on from people who know better than I do and were kind enough to do so.

Hi LimCHD,

i will reply it as bluntly as possible hope you don't mind.

Congestion between two points may not be noted when sending a smaller packet (which in this case i am referring it here).

But what you are referring are big packets then in this case, you are not wrong with what you know (additional 5ms x packet size might be significant)


hope this clears your doubts
 

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
21,847
Reaction score
597
a quick check is any one like me still having problem loading youtube random video?

Me. sometimes it loads, even if it loads, the buffering will stop sometimes. Never had to wait for buffering.
 

wcmonk

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2004
Messages
1,742
Reaction score
10
Me. sometimes it loads, even if it loads, the buffering will stop sometimes. Never had to wait for buffering.

i hate to call starhub as it under my dad name and i need to go dig up the account and get his ic and all that things, let wait till after 3 june their maint. and see does it become ok:(:(
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top